Prs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prs

Anyone shooting PRS? What is your rifle like? What gear is a must have vs nice to have?

Since you're in Katy, you should look up Aaron Roberts with Roberts Precision Rifles. Tell him I sent ya! He builds absolute tack drivers. There is a two day national level match in College Station on the 29th that would be the best place to see first hand.

Comment

I saw they were having the match. Not sure I’ll be able to attend, but looks like a good time.

Currently getting components together for a 6gt build; impact 737 action, 26” bartlein 7.5 twist barrel, MPA chassis, trigger tech diamond.

Comment

I’d personally avoid 6GT if you aren’t setup for it yet.

Go 6BR or 6 Creedmoor if you want more speed. Get a tator tot bag from Wiebad and set the stock up for an arca rail and have a level of some sort to remove cant while shooting. Other than that, get a good zero and dope then start shooting club level matches.
        Last edited by bdubb; 01-11-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I’ll expand…

Must Have:
          Rifle and optic as obvious (impact is a great start)
          Easy to buy or load for cartridge (ie not 6GT)
          Good rear bag with sand (tator tot)
          Good reliable dope based on DA
          Good zero (within a tenth of dead nuts)
          Anti cant level
          Decent bipod (Harris 3-9 swivel is fine)
          Electronic ear pro
          Practice
          Money
          Patience

Nice to Have:
          Arca rail
          RRS tripod
          Bag for your ****
          Kestrel (just DA and a calc or cards is fine)
          Wind knowledge

What to avoid:
          Ego
          Finicky cartridges
          Enough bags for a pillow fight
          Random forum advice (ie: SH, here, new shooters, etc etc)
          Chasing the latest cartridge fad
          Cliques
          elitist ideology (it’s just a aluminum machined bullet and your wife or gf won’t care in the end)
          Long waits on barrels
          Shooting suppressed in matches

Comment

Bergara BMP. 6.5c. Good 20moa base Burris xtr signature and a bushnell XRS. Pretty much base class. But I can still clean a stage or 2.

Doing it over again I would buy a HOWA or a bergara ridge and a MDT chassis. Upgraded trigger and a dang good brake. Shoot it 2k-3k toss it in the stock it came with take it and pawn it. And rebuy another. The money that guys spend on a disposable barrel is utterly stupid.

You need gun you can either make or buy ammo for. I don’t have time load so I will never be competitive. It’s a game of a 3/4”moa gun or better single digit SD’s a kestrel a dead nuts zero and spot on data.

You need real mags not magpul. You need a good front bag and a smaller rear bag for a few stages. Wiebad is local and shoots so give him the money. If not a game changer. A good bipod Harris at minimum MDT at best. And money lots of money. Like I figured drive way to drive way 200 bill for a club match precovid.

Don’t drop a ton of money. Maybe try the 22 match. Don’t knock it. Everyone needs a ****** 22. Your going to suck. That ok. Any local club match has 5-10 national shooters. Learn. Your going suck. But that’s ok. Eyes open. Mouth shut. Dial it in. Get down lock in brace it steady it squeeze it. And enjoy your first IMPACT!!!! You will be hooked until you go broke.

Comment

Here is my setup:
              Impact 737 action
              Bartlein Mod B steel 26” straight taper
              6 Dasher chambered by Aaron Roberts
              Tangent Theta in a Spuhr mount
              Manners TCS stock
              Ckye pod Arca mount bipod
              Bix Tacsport pro trigger
              Prototype muzzle brake
              Wiebad Tatertot bag
              AICS magazines with BR follower

Group shown is 5 shots at 100 yards. Point of aim is the right corner of the Diamond.
              Attached Files

Comment

Components to reload with would be tops on my list right now. I had to stop competing because I couldn't find enough primers and powder at a reasonable price point. If I were to get a new rig right now I would buy enough powder, primers, bullets and cases (assume 4-6 loads per case depending on the round) to shoot out the barrel, all out of the same lots. I'm at a point now with mine it's on it's last 30% I'd say, and I am basically out of the powder and primers. When you buy a new barrel, do it all over again.

Bdubb- why avoid the suppressed shooting? I do it, and I appreciate it when the others do. Other than that, I agree with everything else you recommended.
                Last edited by bearintex; 01-12-2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Thanks for the tips and advice. I'm wanting to shoot PRS just for fun, and doing something different than just punching paper at the range. I thought quite a bit about caliber before landing on the GT. 6cm seemed to have a really short barrel life compared to the dasher and GT. I personally liked the better feeding and slightly longer neck of the GT compared to the dasher. I know it's splitting hairs and the dasher is a very proven round.

I've already gotten 300 pcs of Alpha 6GT brass, 500 Berger 108 BTHP, 500 hornady 108 ELDM, 3k small rifle magnum primers, 8lbs of 6.5 staball and 5lbs of varget. I figure this should at least get me started. I've recently got a labradar and will most likely be selling my magnetospeed as soon as give it a try at the range.

The MPA chassis has an arca rail on the bottom, I've got one mini game changer bag, and I plan to use a harris bipod I have. Don't think I'm going to buy a kestrel right away, maybe borrow one from someone for wind data at match day? I've got the Applied ballistics app and shooter app I've used successfully in the past and plan to use those to verify my dope.

Also curious as to why I should avoid using my suppressor? I initially had planned to skip a muzzle break in favor of the suppressor, but started thinking of mirage as things heat up.

Nice build!

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                    Here is my setup:
                    Impact 737 action
                    Bartlein Mod B steel 26” straight taper
                    6 Dasher chambered by Aaron Roberts
                    Tangent Theta in a Spuhr mount
                    Manners TCS stock
                    Ckye pod Arca mount bipod
                    Bix Tacsport pro trigger
                    Prototype muzzle brake
                    Wiebad Tatertot bag
                    AICS magazines with BR follower

Group shown is 5 shots at 100 yards. Point of aim is the right corner of the Diamond.

Comment

My comment on the suppressor is because of ranges that have towers or require you to move muzzle up with any sort of frequency. After some buildup carbon can fall from the suppressor and back into the action. Some potential for issues or galled lugs. That in mind it just comes down to personal preference plus added barrel length for tight stages with movement. Ie. K&M culvert windows and to some degree Cawthon like thee tic tax toe, mega barricade and house etc. Field match’s the 30+” muzzle length is less of an issue.

I have shot local and some PRS matches with an Omega. It’s nice if they have a suppressor only squad, but chances of you shooting a troop line laying next to others and they all have suppressors is very unlikely.

I don’t shoot anymore, did 2 National last year and no local. Things have certainly changed over the years as people chase the latest mousetrap and the sport grows. Back when I got started the Texas crew for a given monthly match that rotated by month from South to Central or North regions would have maybe 15-20 shooters total. Many of the same guys that founded the PRS. There’s something to be missed with having to drive to Rifles Only, Cawthon, or the old Rifle Ranch to shoot the single state match per month. It improved the relationships and broadened everyone’s ability in my personal opinion.

Even starting around 2014, I’m no OG with a PRS number around 500 I think. Guys that still shoot that were involved at the beginning are still friends to this day and some not so much anymore. Those still involved from the beginning are the guys I consider to have the most valuable gear advise separate from affiliations.
                      Last edited by bdubb; 01-12-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t use a suppressor in a match simply because they get hot. Suppressors turn sound into heat. Heat is not your friend - mirage, barrel temp, poi shift, and as mentioned before, risk of carbon flakes in action.

Comment

I’m going down the same road. I have zero advise on the PRS part as I have yet to shoot a match. I will say I think I’d choose a round that doesn’t use Varget. It’s always been hard to get.

I built a 6 creed. Impact action and steel proof prefit so barrel life isn’t a big deal. You can get those barrels under $450 shipped. Guaranteed headspace on an impact action. Spin it on, check headspace and go at it.

I also chose a self timing brake over a suppressor. Far from new to the LR stuff and I agree big time on the hear issue. Mirage isn’t bad when you shoot a few rounds and can let it cool.

Check into the foundation stocks.

Jake is a wealth of knowledge on PRS. He has helped me a lot. Someday my schedule will get back to where I can get my load work done and start shooting more!

Comment

I just finished a chassis build of my own in 6 CM. It's a pretty popular PRS style rifle, but I won't do any competitions. I wanted a low recoiling, fun rifle for everyone to shoot, including kiddos. Should be a heck of a varmint gun too!

I was planning on shooting it suppressed exclusively, but now y'all have me a little nervous about that. I'm finally going to get to sight it in tomorrow (edit - probably not after looking at the forecast).

For anyone interested in the nerdery:

6mm Creedmoor
                            Bartlein barrel. Marksman contour at 24", 1:7.5"
                            Terminus Apollo
                            MPA Hybrid chassis
                            Trigger tech special
                            Harris bipod
                            Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 MOAR F1
                            ARC M-Brace Rings (pretty much identical to the M-10 rings from what I can tell). Low 0.94"
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Saltyag15; 01-14-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                              I just finished a chassis build of my own in 6 CM. It's a pretty popular PRS style rifle, but I won't do any competitions. I wanted a low recoiling, fun rifle for everyone to shoot, including kiddos. Should be a heck of a varmint gun too!

I was planning on shooting it suppressed exclusively, but now y'all have me a little nervous about that. I'm finally going to get to sight it in tomorrow (edit - probably not after looking at the forecast).

For anyone interested in the nerdery:

6mm Creedmoor
                              Bartlein barrel. Marksman contour at 24", 1:7.5"
                              Terminus Apollo
                              MPA Hybrid chassis
                              Trigger tech special
                              Harris bipod
                              Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 MOAR F1
                              ARC M-Brace Rings (pretty much identical to the M-10 rings from what I can tell). Low 0.94"
                              If you’re not shooting comps don’t worry about the can. It’ll be just fine. Suppressors are a hindrance in high round count scenarios when mirage is a factor and brakes are slightly more efficient at reducing recoil. The main reasons they’re preferred in competition use as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X