In search of the BEST deer taxidermist in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of the BEST deer taxidermist in Texas

I am on a quest to find the best deer taxidermist in Texas, even better if they are in the general Houston area, but not a requirement.

I would like one that is specifically talented on whitetail deer. I utilize other taxidermists that specialize in birds, fish and other big game. So this person could be the worst bobcat or duck taxidermist on planet earth, but all I care about are their whitetail skills.

Ranking of importance:

1. Quality work
    2. Realistic work
    3. Attention to detail
    4. Consistent final products
    5. Good reputation

Way down at the very bottom of the list are price and turnaround time. I learned my lesson long ago on choosing a taxidermist based on low pricing and quick turnaround times.

In return for premium pricing and lengthy waits, my expectation is a mount that would be suitable to be published in a book/magazine or used in competition. I am willing to travel 4-6 hours from Houston (if necessary) and pay a premium price reflective of a premium product. I think that is a fair business transaction. I am not a wealthy man in any shape, form or fashion, but I do see the value of paying a higher price for higher quality work. I am fully expecting to spend $750-$1200 for a shoulder mount only (no bases or habitat work).

I have been blessed to be able to travel around the country and see mounts from many different taxidermists but just have not found that one that knocks it out of the park (per my opinion of course), and with as many deer hunters as we have in Texas, surely I am overlooking that taxidermist that really brings these deer back to life. No over the top muscles or tendons showing or eccentric poses.

One thing that I have found are that photos of taxidermy rarely reflect how good the work actually is in person, unless the photos are done semi-professionally with proper lighting, backgrounds and angles. Because of that, social media and website searches often end up with a mediocre representation of otherwise great work. Additionally, most taxidermists are taxidermists, not social media gurus, photographers or web designers. Because of this, it is tough to "shop" online. But, I need to get a list of places to visit and see the work in person. I've done the necessary thread searches on here and gotten a short list of candidates but haven't found what I am looking for yet.

For reference, I have already used Palermo's (in Bryan) and Conroe Taxi, along with an array of other shops, but am still on the search.

This taxidermist does not have to be a member here or a good friend of so and so. Doesn't matter what college they went to or what political party they affiliate with. I just am simply looking for the best whitetail artist/taxidermist there is.

Pictures are welcome and I appreciate yalls insight.

Mesquite Creek Taxidermy in Pearsall you will not be disappointed!

Comment

B & B Taxidermy on Jones Road in Houston hands down. Go by their shop and visit with them. You will find out as I did, as soon as I walked in the door, I knew I was in the right shop!!

Comment

Jerry Huffaker comes to mind as someone putting their all into each piece

Big shops are likely out to have that quality consistently unless it is always the exact same person doing the work

Also remember they can only work with what they’re given. Not all capes are show quality no matter how much work goes into them

Comment

Shane Smith
          Freer

Comment

Lee Richard’s in Central Heights. I’m not knocking anybody else’s work. Just know Lee is REALLY good.
            Someone posted a deer on here a week or two ago that he did. As good as the picture looked, I guarantee you it looked better in person.

Comment

I really like the work Matt Otten does here in Boerne. He has my Utah bull elk right now. Otten Brothers taxidermy. https://ottenbrotherstaxidermy.com/w...oulder-mounts/

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post

Big shops are likely out to have that quality consistently unless it is always the exact same person doing the work

Also remember they can only work with what they’re given. Not all capes are show quality no matter how much work goes into them
                This

Comment

I've seen a bunch but none as good d as this.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Walker; 12-20-2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Chance Love

Comment

I know but I’m not telling. He’s busy enough.

Comment

Surprised you weren’t happy with Allen’s work? Might look up Bobby Merchant in Bryan. He does outstanding work on whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
                          Lee Richard’s in Central Heights. I’m not knocking anybody else’s work. Just know Lee is REALLY good.
                          Someone posted a deer on here a week or two ago that he did. As good as the picture looked, I guarantee you it looked better in person.
                          When you asked these kinds of questions what you are going to get is everyone’s favorite and when you get through you won’t know any more than when you started.

That said, I’ve seen several examples of Lee Richards’ work and etbowhunter ain’t shining you on. Richards is legit ! Central Heights is just N of Lufkin aways. Not too far to go for excellent work.

Comment

Safari Studios

Comment

Originally posted by STXbooner View Post
                              Mesquite Creek Taxidermy in Pearsall you will not be disappointed!
                              I have them on my list of out of town places, along with Verrips in S.A.

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                              B & B Taxidermy on Jones Road in Houston hands down. Go by their shop and visit with them. You will find out as I did, as soon as I walked in the door, I knew I was in the right shop!!
                              On my list

Originally posted by bphillips View Post

Yes sir, the cape and animal's condition will be on me. That is understandable.

The consistency you mentioned is one issue I am running into. At some of places, its the luck of the draw of which person mounts your animal. If you drop off two, they may look completely different because they were done by 2 different people. That is why I am leaning towards the smaller shops.

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              Shane Smith
                              Freer
                              I can't find any of his work via online searches. Oddly enough, I use a taxidermist also named Shane Smith out of Alabama for some bird work.

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
                              Long shot, but do you remember the name or something of the thread I can search for? Nothing showed using his name or central heights. I've passed by his shop many times but never stopped.

Comment

Working...
                              X