Cub Scouts thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cub Scouts thoughts?

My middle son, 6 yo, is asking me about Cub Scouts. I know nothing about them. Are they affiliated with the boys and girls scouts of America? If so, it’s a hard no. I do believe they did good back in the day before they became “woke.” Need some opinions on them if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks.

If your 6yo son wants to be involved, get yourself involved and make it a great experience. The kids get out of it what the parents put in.

Comment

Hey, he's only six. Chances are he will tire of it. Organized Baseball would be a better activity if you ask me.

Comment

I'm an older dude but here is my opinion. Get involved and attend meetings with him. It doesn't take long, just watching what is happening, to figure out yes are no. Organized baseball is great but you still have a parent are two that need to be banned from the games. Just teach your son right from wrong.

Comment

Scouts was certainly good back in the day. Been 50+ years ago for me, so alot could change. If it's still the "real deal", I'd rather my kid did scouts than sports. Sports is way over done now. Scouting, camping, woods skills, archery, etc. What could be better? But I'm with you if it's woke I'm out.

Both my girls did G. Scouts for about a month. Then we pulled them. What a load of crap they were pushing.

Comment

Talk with Texastaxi he is a scoutmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Hey, he's only six. Chances are he will tire of it. Organized Baseball would be a better activity if you ask me.
              Baseball? With the way parents act these days maybe not.

I think they are about equal!

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                If your 6yo son wants to be involved, get yourself involved and make it a great experience. The kids get out of it what the parents put in.

This

It’s what you make of it at this age

It’s parent lead until Boy Scouts, so he’ll be interested if you are

Go for it

Comment

X2

Active parent/parents can make this really cool for this age kid. Go to some meetings, size things up. Since you are on TBH I’ll say it right off, your outdoor expertise will be welcome and helpful for the kids. And the more “indoor” parents will follow your lead when it comes to outdoor things, that’s how it worked for me and my son in Cub Scouts.

Comment

I say we ought to all become scout leaders and teach em all how to shoot and how to constitutional carry. As well as all the other scout stuff.

Scouting used to be about Country, Honor, and skills training.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-01-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

My son was in the cub scouts and I became a den leader by default. After the change of allowing girls in , we lost a few members. Covid had more of an effect because online scouting does not work. Our pack was definitely not "Woke" . The requirements have not been changed. I would suggest attending several different packs to get a feel for what they are like. Our experience has been good. It is true that they may age out and tire of it. We just started boy scouts this year and my son is ready to be done. I honestly feel that scouts can still be a positive influence in a young persons life. I still want my son to stick with it until he gets his Eagle Scout. It never hurts to try and consider becoming a den leader.

Comment

^^^ this^^^

Comment

4H is better than Scouts in my honest opinion. I think they can start at age 8. Until then, get him a bow, bb gun, and a fishing pole and try and wear them out between now and then.

Comment

Cub scouts is the beginning of Boy Scouts. They cross over to Boy Scouts at age 10 or 11. Like others have said it depends on the adult leadership how good it is.

Comment

I wasn’t in scouts as a youth but I had about 16 years as an adult volunteer between both of my boys, I stayed involved and so did they. They both made Eagle, each right before their 18th birthdays. Our Boy Scout troop now has a girl program, they run for the most part separate from the boys combining where appropriate, like Court of Honors and even on some campouts. I don’t know how the programs run in Cub Scouts as far as boys and girls, I would think similarly. We were in Cub packs associated with the boys’ elementary school. I would recommend it even with the changes the last few years, just be involved yourself so your boy will get more out of it and get out of it more of what you want him to.

Comment

Working...
                              X