Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packs

Hey guys, wondering if some of you back country guys could give me some advice. Diving into the world of packs and boy is it complicated. Sounds like there are lots of good companies out there, coupled with lots of options on sizes. Say I was looking at a pack that would carry me 7-8 days, would size would you recommend? Thinking something in the 5k range, but not sure. Thoughts on sizes, and recommendations on brands would be of great help!

Thanks!

Looking at the EXO K3 4800. Anyone happen to have first hand experience with this pack?

Comment

ive owned blacks creek and badlands packs, both have had their pros and cons. The blacks creek was light weight but i didnt care for how they had the pockets etc set up. The badlands has been the opposite, I like how it is set up, it carries weight well but the pack itself is on the heavy side. I am looking at getting into an exo pack. They seem to be made well, are light weight, and you can have multiple size bags for one frame, which i see to be a major plus.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        Looking at the EXO K3 4800. Anyone happen to have first hand experience with this pack?
        Own 2 exo frames and 3 bags myself. All K2’s in each of the 3 sizes (2000, 3500, 5500). I’m 5’10” and 165. I wear the small size belt and it fits me perfect. My brother is planning on selling his K2’s because he’s 5’7-8” and the frame is a hair big for him and he is upgrading to the K3 since they can fit people with a little smaller body size better. Some complaints I’ve read and heard is they can’t carry out heavy loads. False. I’ve packed out a moose, an elk, 4 mule deer, 3 antelope, and 1 whitetail all with the same frame over the last few years. Another plus about exo is their customer service, absolutely top notch. They had an issue with their new K3 titanium frames and thus sent every person who bought one a new frame of the original K2 material, even if they had no issues.

Bag size for 7-8 days I wouldn’t go with anything under 5000ci. My 5500 size I was able to pack everything I needed, minus food, for 16 days in Alaska on a moose hunt.

There are other high quality brands out there that people will argue are better but it’s gonna come down to preference. I love that exo’s are super simple and don’t have a bunch of useless crap on them.

If you have any questions I can probably answer them for you as I’ve used the heck out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
          Own 2 exo frames and 3 bags myself. All K2’s in each of the 3 sizes (2000, 3500, 5500). I’m 5’10” and 165. I wear the small size belt and it fits me perfect. My brother is planning on selling his K2’s because he’s 5’7-8” and the frame is a hair big for him and he is upgrading to the K3 since they can fit people with a little smaller body size better. Some complaints I’ve read and heard is they can’t carry out heavy loads. False. I’ve packed out a moose, an elk, 4 mule deer, 3 antelope, and 1 whitetail all with the same frame over the last few years. Another plus about exo is their customer service, absolutely top notch. They had an issue with their new K3 titanium frames and thus sent every person who bought one a new frame of the original K2 material, even if they had no issues.

Bag size for 7-8 days I wouldn’t go with anything under 5000ci. My 5500 size I was able to pack everything I needed, minus food, for 16 days in Alaska on a moose hunt.

There are other high quality brands out there that people will argue are better but it’s gonna come down to preference. I love that exo’s are super simple and don’t have a bunch of useless crap on them.

If you have any questions I can probably answer them for you as I’ve used the heck out of them.
          Excellent information! I did just come to the conclusion that a 6400 would be better for me. Plus it's only 3 oz heavier. At 6'4 230, I'm going to need a little extra lol. I might be reaching out as I continue my dive into this.

Comment

Excellent information! I did just come to the conclusion that a 6400 would be better for me. Plus it's only 3 oz heavier. At 6'4 230, I'm going to need a little extra lol. I might be reaching out as I continue my dive into this.
            The great thing too about these packs, others can do it as well, is the ability to down size by strapping them down. As in if you bought the 6400 you could still use it on another trip where you only need a couple days of gear. For me the simplicity of the bags, the ability to remove bags, and waterproof insert is what sold me. The more I use them the more I love them. Post your questions and concerns or shoot me a PM don’t matter.

Comment

I would recommend that if your adding clothing to your load which since it is to last a weeks time im assuming you are, but when you pack your clothing into the ruck, fold it as narrowly as possible width wise and roll the clothing up lengthwise then wrap with a rubber band to keep secure if that makes since. This will give you much more room to pack that trophy out. there are videos on youtube that will show you how to do this like we did in the military to go overseas with any type of clothing.

Comment

I use a Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28 which has an area between the pack and the frame to carry meat. I put a bag full of my gear in that area when I hike up, after I get to my camp site I unload and have a smaller day pack that will carry meat if needed.

Comment

If you gonna spring for one, I agree, exo or kuiu is probably the best 2 to look at.

I have used a Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 for a few years of elk hunts and other hiking excursions. Yes it's heavier, but it's also substantially cheaper. With cost considered it's a good value.. Especially if backcountry hunting is not something thats going to be regular for you.

Comment

We are basically the same size and I originally was settled on an Exo pack. Before I ordered I started reading on a few forums that the frames were too short for anyone over 6'2" iirc. Everyone is built different when it comes to torso length but that was the consensus. I can't confirm this because I never tried one on in person. It did send me back to the drawing board though and I ended up with a Stone Glacier.

Could just be internet chatter but something to confirm while you are researching. This was also a few years ago so they may have changed frame lengths.
                    Last edited by CEO; 12-03-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

For what it is worth. I am 6'4" and about 220, after losing some weight lol. I bought the Exo 3200 and used it this year. I bought the tall, and I think the large hip. But I loved it. Took it to Colorado this year. Unfortunatly I was not able to test the hauling out part. Maybe next year.

Comment

I have been using a Kifaru reckoning for the last 3 years and I take te bag off and put on the native for whitetail hunting. I have packed elk out, up to 100 pounds or so, and it has been great. We pack in 3-6 miles for 6-10days. My buddies run the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Stone Glacier. and they love them. They seem to be great as well. The Stone glacier actually is a little lighter and rides well just not as durable as the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. The guys over at Kifaru are great and will help you with any questions. Plus they are 100% made in the USA!!!

Comment

I have the exo k 2 frame and a 2000 k2 bag as well as a 4800 k 3.. I'm planning on getting the k3 frame this year.. as far as packing in if you will be base camping you can use a dry bag. Carry your camp in it between your pack and frame. I've done this in the past it, doubles the amount you can carry. You will be making several trips if you kill so you can pack out part of your camp each trip..

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            I use a Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28 which has an area between the pack and the frame to carry meat. I put a bag full of my gear in that area when I hike up, after I get to my camp site I unload and have a smaller day pack that will carry meat if needed.
                            This really worked well for a 7 day hunt.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just go all out and get the Stone Glacier. You will be glad you didn't mess with the EXO or Badlands or Mystery Ranch. I just about have everyone converted to Stone Glacier in my group. The pack is Made in the USA, incredibly well laid out, can add pockets for a nalgene, or whatever you want to carry, has a rifle sling that is VERY accessible in the field, light, the frame is interchangeable with different sizes (My X Frame can candle a pack anywhere for 2000 to 7800 I think is the biggest. I currently use a 5900 for 5 days/nights).

The guys in my group previously had Mystery Ranch, EXO and some other strange brand I never heard of. Both the Mystery Ranch and EXO never fit well, the curve on the back just didn't match the curve in a humans spine.

Comment

Working...
                              X