New full frame wide lens to consider... Tamron 15-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compares favorably to legendary Nikkon 14-24 at 60% of the price.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbs4VYlkMjM"]Tamron 15-30mm VC FULL REVIEW - vs Nikon 14-24mm - YouTube[/ame]

In stock at Competitive Camera in Dallas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Na9LUbHsM"]Photo adventure through national parks with the new Tamron SP 15-30 F/2.8 Di VC USD - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting. After having used both Tamron and Sigma lenses I lean more toward Tamron if they have what I want available. Should be a good one. Of course I don't shoot FF though.

Comment

I'm looking at the D750. This would be a nice pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
        Not knowing much about Nikon I'm assuming FX=FF? Onward and upward. In the words of the company with the famous check mark for a logo, just do it.

Comment

Yes, FX is full frame. It's a hunk of coin that I'm not sure I can justify but it's sexy.

Comment

I understand. I want longer, faster glass and you know what kind of $$ that is. Not sure it will ever happen but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
              I shot the D750 for a while and loved it...think it handled ISO slightly better than the D810 but that is purely opinion. Rented the 14-24 a few times for night shots and it was pretty dang impressive. Have been looking at the new Tamron 15-30 for a while but waiting to hear a few reviews first. The 14-24 will be a tough lens to duplicate.

Comment

Nice lens, but I have that range covered (and then some) with my Canon 15-85 IS lens (that I absolutely LOVE).

However, the 2.8 will draw in some folks. I've never seen the need for a fast lens in those wider focal lengths though. I rarely ever shoot a wide lens more open than F4. Usually 5.6 or 8 at the most open.

John

Comment

If you want to stay true to the "holy trinity" of 14-24 24-70 70-200 all in 2.8, then the 14-24 is really attractive.

The Tamron is appealing because it does pretty much what the Nikon does at 60% of the price. And that's the rub. Holy trinities have a price.

There's no question I want 2.8 through the whole range. I love wide angle for close range hard light situations. I have shot that way for years but the wide angle I have now is not full frame.

Comment

Ok... I'm the first person in Dallas to own the Tamron.

Comment

Cool, look forward to seeing pixels through it.

Comment

This thing is a beast.

Comment

Congrats...let us know how it performs.

Comment

Very nice! I'm jealous! Cant wait to see some pics!

Comment

Right now it won't perform at all. Apparently my operating system is too dated to process Raw for a D750. I'm halfway through what looks to be a five hour download. Hopefully this fixes it.
                              Last edited by Legdog; 02-22-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X