No announcement yet.

Testing the Waters: Photography Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My and my $250 camera are game if time allows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
      I agree! Let's do this
      I used to be part of an art group called a DSG...Daily Sketch Group.
      After art class, we would draw from a topic which was given every day.
      There were no prizes unless you count the occasional feedback from your DSG fellows.

In my opinion, a similar photo group would be much more fun and much less complicated than a TBH photo contest.

Comment

The problem is that while I consider this a fairly lucky shot with middle of the road equipment. A critical eye would tear it apart.
        Another $1,800 worth of lens would have helped! I don't have $1,800 laying around!
        When we do well with a pic I'm thinking it might deserve a compliment, but we might not want to hear the harsh critque that is bound to come.
        Let's have fun and learn.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572 copy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	23836481

Comment

I'm in

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
            but we might not want to hear the harsh critque that is bound to come.

[ATTACH]32002[/ATTACH]
            That is what I want to hear. Don't just bash it, tell me what is wrong and how to fix it....other than a $2000 lens.

Comment

some also own pretty valuable imaging software...

Comment

I dont take pics, but Ill be a judge. Just remember that a slightly blurry pic or a scantily clad Sara Evans beats a clear pic of a scantily clad Charlie Danials

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  I used to be part of an art group called a DSG...Daily Sketch Group.
                  After art class, we would draw from a topic which was given every day.
                  There were no prizes unless you count the occasional feedback from your DSG fellows.

In my opinion, a similar photo group would be much more fun and much less complicated than a TBH photo contest.
                  That might be the ticket; just post a topic/category and let folks post two pics...without the contest....jst let everyone enjoy the pics and learn something from the composition, lighting, etc.

an annual contest might work, but a monthly contest might be logistically problematical.

Just my 6 cents.

Comment

I'm in - contest or not, I get any votes or not, etc.... Any chance to learn something from others is a good opportunity in my book. Any prodding to actually take a picture and get some feedback is a good thing too.

As for judges, maybe a different judge every time would help. We could probably get Russell Graves to judge some as well, but a weekly commitment for anybody might be asking too much. If we don't have an "independent and impartial" judge, then just a poll here along with insightful and instructive comments would be cool. Heck, even some good-natured ribbing would be fun as well. (not that there would ever be any of that!)

As for equipment handicaps, I don't think it's necessary. I've seen some GREAT photos taken with cell phone cameras, and I've seen some CRAPPY photos taken with equipment that cost more than my truck. Lord knows my mediocre equipment is capable of much better than I seem to get out of it most of the time. An observant and artistic eye combined with a little patience often go a lot farther than $5,000 worth of fancier gear.

Great idea Jaspro.

Comment

Knowing the competitive nature of this crowd and their fondness for great pictures, A monthly contest might also overload the servers...

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                        some also own pretty valuable imaging software...

Nice job on the windmill, legdog!

Comment

And then there is the plain jane, no software tweak, mid range glass shooters that everyone can be.

Comment

I'm still in either way....Can we start another discussion topic for picture taking? I don't think that the use of imaging software should be allowed in a photo contest....The idea would be to show how well you can take a pic without having to fix it later.....With the right software you can take a mediocre picture and make it a winner.........

Comment

We could probably get Russell Graves to judge some as well
                              I'd love that but I seriously doubt a guy like Russel Graves is going to stop down and judge our "just for grins" game.

If you think you can get him, that would be awesome! ... but I think he is used to getting paid to talk photography shop.

Berandel has it explained for me.

Comment

Or those shots that simply come once in a few blue moons..cuz...you have to be there and let the old man upstairs toss the cookie. At that point, it would be shameless to add anything else to the shot other than what the tools at hand give.

Comment

Working...
                                X