Travel Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Alaska

This was my first trip with a DSLR camera and heard that “you can take better pictures if you manually set your own settings” and veer off the ‘auto’ setting I was okay with shooting. I thank you folks here on TBH and my bro Dan who like to shine in with a suggestion or make a recommendation on trying or reading up on something. I’ve been and still am very new to photography as it is only a hobby, something I enjoy doing when I can & am continuously inspired with your alls photos you share here. I’ve seeing some of the BEST shots of wildlife, nature, portraits, & overall creativity for making photo truly become art from all you all on here.

I will also throw out that my preparation for this trip & cruise I took to Alaska was very poor in the sense that I was reading a book called ‘Understanding Exposure’ by Bryan Peterson at the airport and along my trip through Alaska. Someone here recommended this book in a thread around that time I was going on my trip for any beginner wanting to learn or having trouble understanding the ‘triangle’ of how a photo is captured & processed with the camera. I ordered right away and luckily arrived before my trip and immediately after reading the first two pages I knew it would have been optimal to have been familiar and have read the entire book before the trip, not during.. but in any case, if your reading this and you haven’t heard of it… I think it’s an AWESOME book & a must read.

I took a lot of photos and many of the same thing, but tweaking my settings here and there and not a surprise to me, but a lot of my pictures turned out to be blurry and over/under exposed that I missed out on the ‘shot’ I was trying to capture. Especially those instances when you only have a few seconds to shoot as many as you can before the opportunity is gone.

Nonetheless, the trip overall was truly amazing that I would like to return some day up there and get a second chance at capturing Alaska’s beauty from another perspective & hopefully can incorporate a little more fishing & some hunting up there!

I just recently upgraded from ACDSee Pro 2.5 to Lightroom 3, I’m new to post processing images and would like any feedback you all would like to share on “overdoing” it or add some color or twist this to B&W, etc. will always be appreciated and welcomed!

Dan, thanks for lending me your lens on this trip bro!!! I think it really made a huge diff. Enjoy!

We started the trip in Vancouver, B.C. and embarked the ship from there.
    Attached Files

Comment

here's one view of our ship and where I was standing +/- when I shot the last few ones above
      Attached Files

Comment

I think I would've liked this picture a little more if it had like a fisheye effect... those lenses are pretty cool, but i've never played with one yet

Comment

I lived in AK for 22 years. As great of a trip as it is by boat, you don't really get the full effect until you get to travel the interior as well. And yes, you HAVE to go fishing while in AK!

Comment

You must of had some great fishing trips throughout those 22 years.. man that sounds awesome. I agree with you about traveling the interior... we had 'land excursions' at diff. cities, but would have like to have spent more time in each place. The only fishing I did up there was for one afternoon. My sister and I have never been fly fishing before, but we learned that day and had a blast! Hope to return one day, but just really glad I was able to go and the pics I brought back with me is just a bonus. This cruise (& any cruise I'm betting) was great for spending some good quality family time all away from work and the busy life.

Comment

Always wanted a sailboat in one of my pictures.. got it!

Open waters...

The water below

Bet they're going fishin'!

Heavenly

view from from up top
              Attached Files

Comment

know while you go

trip was in aug. so we had great weather most of the time

gotta have a lil something cookin' near the pool
                Attached Files

Comment

First waterfall... ready
                  Attached Files

Comment

Would have really liked it if the last one was taken during calm waters to pick up a good reflection photo... but we went into this cul-de-sac and turned the ship 180*

gotta run... will post more up later
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's been about four days since we started the trip... great scenery, company, & as much food and drinks as you want... but I had to get OFF the ship and.. soon!

What better place to stop than....
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	24093072

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	24093070

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	24093071

On the road to headed out to get our fishing license & fish.

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	24093073

This is one of my favorite shots from the entire trip. Had to play the "do you mind stopping for a quick photo?" guy and... glad I did. Was a bit embarrassed so I only took one photo but I really lucked out on it bc it came out good. I think I would've like a little more foreground of the grass and a little less sky, but idk... no complaints here I think its one of my best if not the best photo of the trip so far and now one of my personal favorites. I'll take it again anyday! but next time I stop a car to take a picture, I'm going shoot some, not one

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	24093074
                      Last edited by -Super-Dave-; 07-12-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

While waiting in line to get my fishing license and fishing gear

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24093080

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	24093083

Had a blast fly fishing... had a slow start at first, but you get hang of it pretty quickly. Btw my sis and I we caught about a dozen, but as much fun as I was having fishing, I was really loving the scenery so I took a break and picked up my camera and shot the area around us.

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	24093085

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	24093082

Another one of my favorites of the trip and still to date

Name:	IMG_2191.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	24093081

I was really looking fwd to this shot here too, but this was the best one I was able to capture

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	24093084

Comment

great pics!

Comment

Love the photos!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Next year is my 30th anniversary and we are trying to decide where to go. Did you see much wildlife? Thinking alaska, Hawaii, Vancouver, etc. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X