Build Them and They Will Come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build Them and They Will Come.

Built a couple of crappie trees a while back for our six acre pond. Jigged around in them Sunday. Time to do some thinning. These fools multiply fast. If they land in the boat, they go to the cooler. We've got some hogs in there, but I caught nothing but the dinks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BowPro73; 01-24-2022, 08:37 PM.

That’s the dream

Comment

Did you just concrete pvc in a 5 gal bucket? 1” pvc? How tall?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        Did you just concrete pvc in a 5 gal bucket? 1” pvc? How tall?
        They are concreted in half of the 5 gallon bucket. I get two trees out of one bucket. The sticks were 10' joints cut in half. I just sort of "spin cut" the top portion of the 5 gallon bucket into the dirt so the concrete will pour in and hold.

The nice thing about these, compared to real trees being dropped, is that they don't snag. Even if you hook a fish they don't get tangled up. If they happen to wrap around the trees, they'll slide up and off of the end of the PVC, at least from a vertical standpoint in deep water, which is how I'm set up.

Comment

Pretty slick. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice fish catch, congratulations.

Comment

Did you sand or scuff the pipe at all?

I've read it helps the algae and other stuff start to grow

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

I've also heard if you pour buttermilk on them and let it dry before you sink'em, algae will start growing almost immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  I've also heard if you pour buttermilk on them and let it dry before you sink'em, algae will start growing almost immediately.
                  Interesting. I have a surplus of pipe and a nice protected drop off into 15'-17' of water I need to do this on

Comment

Did this with left over pipe and works great. If it ever freezes again and prices of PVC skyrocket ill pull them up and make some money

Comment

I can smell the grease!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

I didn't do anything to the pipe. I don't think there is a material out there that algae won't grow on. Lol. I could see a roughed up pipe eating on my crappie line. I image if you compared the two pipes (smooth vs roughened) in the back yard by sliding a looped crappie line of off the ends, you'd probably feel the resistance on the roughened one, and most likely some inconspicuous line fray. I figured the smoother the better. I get it that algae is slippery regardless, but I reckon a choked down fishing line could get a bite on the pipe. I'd just assume eliminate as much of that potential as possible. Fish get pretty excited and wirey with the initial hookset to the mouth. Lol. Listen to me talking like I'm loading the truck up and driving across two states to catch fish, not affording any losses. [emoji1787] I literally trailer the boat to the pond with the ATV.
                        Last edited by BowPro73; 01-25-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

They've been stacking nicely on them pvc trees too. Nice little batches every time I go out. If I catch em I keep em. These boogers breed like wild hogs.

Comment

Masterpiece!

How long does it need to be in place for them to nest there?

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                              Masterpiece!

How long does it need to be in place for them to nest there?
                              As soon as they find it. [emoji16] I was tagging them a couple of days after I dropped them.

Comment

Working...
                              X