2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
    Talk to some old hunters about the “good old days” in the Katy/Eagle Lake rice prairies............when they actually grew RICE there.

Same here in Callahan country by Cross Plains. A 17 acre flood control lake is 500 yards from my home and we have lived here since 1971. When peanuts were grown around the lake, it was literally COVERED with waterfowl. Aflatoxin fungus in the Sandy soil caused peanut operations to be relocated to Western Oklahoma and now the ducks are very sparse. Most former peanut/grain fields were converted to Coastal Bermuda grass operations, which offer nothing for waterfowl.

Land use practices & habitat fragmentation are causing more harm to wildlife than anything else. Carry on.

Oh I know, they actually controlled the geese to the point that crumpled up Sunday editions newspaper killed a lot of birds. When I was a teenager Rice was king all around me, now they’re paid to plant other crops or other crops are cheaper to plant and the birds just aren’t here.

Saw the first flock of snow geese over the house, and I think the only reason they’re here is a exclusive 10,000 hunting lease across the highway from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had a bunch of birds last weekend, this weekend has been very slow

Comment

Got em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went out this morning. Had a better hunt than past few trips.
          Was able to scratch out a solo limit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Almost smacked a 5 man limit of teal today! 27 down. Lil Pouldeaux got a workout today.

Hoping for one more good hunt to close the year!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

Got em!

CONGRATS!

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                Almost smacked a 5 man limit of teal today! 27 down. Lil Pouldeaux got a workout today.

Hoping for one more good hunt to close the year! [

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Congrats!

Comment

Me & my son got 3 a piece today. Really slow bird movement. Good Luck to everyone the last week.

Comment

Some great strap pics posted over the weekend. Congrats to those of y'all that had banger hunts

Our spot turned out to be a gar hole. Killed the only 2 birds that decoyed. Ran around for a couple hours after that looking around and we just didn't see much.

Comment

Got skunked this morning.

Saw lots of shovelers but decided they didn’t like my area

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        Got skunked this morning.

Saw lots of shovelers but decided they didn’t like my area
                        Hate to hear that. Good Luck on the next one!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                          Some great strap pics posted over the weekend. Congrats to those of y'all that had banger hunts

Our spot turned out to be a gar hole. Killed the only 2 birds that decoyed. Ran around for a couple hours after that looking around and we just didn't see much.
                          Better luck on the next one!

Comment

A buddy and me made a quick hunt Saturday morning, could only hunt til 8. Was hoping to get my pup some work, wasn't lights out by any means, but we were able to scratch out 10. Lot of pretty bluewings.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good hunts ya'll! Headed out this weekend for one last hoorah!

Comment

The Big cat being the last weekend of January means my duck season is over as of this past weekend.

Capped it off with a a 20 piece. The grass and reeds ate our last 4.

Had a great season, y’all beat on em next weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X