Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Mount / Bugs Ate It!?

Not sure what to think here.

This mount is 8-9 years old and just happen to walk by the book shelf it was on and saw this.

Do I need to be worried about my shoulder mounts?

I’ve spent a lot of money on taxidermy [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes be worried. First guess would be dermisted beetles.

Comment

What do I need to do?

Comment

I'd close up the room as tight as possible and set of a couple of bug bombs in there. Do it again in a week and repeat one more time in 2 weeks to get anything that hatches.

Comment

Did you have euros done with Beetles?

BP

Comment

Yes they will spread to other mounts if you don’t kill them. Big bombs and aerosol bug poison (like raid)

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I closed the door and set off a Raid bug bomb. Seemed to take care of the issue

Comment

Currently pulling each mount and inspecting each one

Comment

Exterminator coming Monday

Comment

The duck is toast. Looks pretty greasy. I’m betting bugs had a feast under there. Check and clean your other mounts. Then bug bomb everything

Comment

Take you mounts and put them in large plastic bags. Put in pest strips in the plastic bags with the mounts and leave for a month. Replace the pest strips over a period of a couple months while mounts are in the plastic bags.

Thoroughly clean EVERYTHING, paying special attention to carpet in the rooms you have noticed issues.

Comment

Get that sucker out of the house. Likely wasnt preserved the best.

Comment

Get some Cy-Kick CS pesticide and spray all your mounts with it. It'll keep them bug-free. This was recommended to me by Jerry Huffaker a few years ago after I saw a beetle on my sheep mount. I immediately got some and treated all my mounts. I've not seen any beetles since.

Mix it with water in a pump sprayer, per the instructions on the bottle. It doesn't cause any kind of staining at all.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Birds are notorious for having bug damage. They go through a different preservation process than the animals (or at least let's hope your animals are tanned and not dry persevered). There's a good chance the mounts are safer.

Sounds like you have something lined out but here is a "taxidermy specific" product but maybe that's just marketing. https://www.mountmedix.com/

Comment

dang that sux, hope you save the others

Comment

Working...
                              X