Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    You posted while I edited. I've always only got about 50% hatch on shipped eggs.
    I've heard that. I was hoping for more. This guy got the same exact eggs I ordered from Myshire Farms had over 90% hatch rate. But with my like it'll be closer to 9%

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaW0Nb2ShJs"]It Started with 12 Quail...Maybe It's More Than a Hobby After All. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Update?

Comment

Originally posted by jbhlsu View Post
        Update?
        Just put the eggs into "lockdown" on day 15. Got to wait a few more days to see if any start hatching on day 18'ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Just put the eggs into "lockdown" on day 15. Got to wait a few more days to see if any start hatching on day 18'ish.
          wish you the best.

Comment

Very cool. Looking forward to more updates.

Comment

in

Comment

Following

Comment

Mine seemed to synchronize their hatch- total chaos for a while. Especially when they start running around crashing into the unhatched eggs.

I alway has about 50% success with shipped eggs- still air incubator and hand turning.

Saw a YouTube video where a guy hatched one set without turning them at all - compared to a batch with auto egg turner. It’s was 50% with both sets, shipped eggs.

What’s crazy is the egg-per-day production that occurs in about 8 weeks. It compounds in a hurry. Very high hatch rates are common with un-shipped eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good info. Thanks

Comment

I'm assuming once you have some actual live birds they can hatch the eggs themselves, so you wouldn't necessarily need an incubator at that point?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        I'm assuming once you have some actual live birds they can hatch the eggs themselves, so you wouldn't necessarily need an incubator at that point?
                        No you just collect the eggs and put them in the incubator if you want live ones or eat them if you don't. They don't really live a long time and it would take a whole lot of space to try to set up something like that.

Comment

No. They have been domesticated since ancient Egyptian times and have lost all broody instincts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            No you just collect the eggs and put them in the incubator if you want live ones or eat them if you don't. They don't really live a long time and it would take a whole lot of space to try to set up something like that.
                            Gotcha.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            No. They have been domesticated since ancient Egyptian times and have lost all broody instincts.
                            Are these what I've heard called Pharaoh Quail? If it's the same thing I'm thinking of I actually used to have a couple.

Comment

Gotcha.

Are these what I've heard called Pharaoh Quail? If it's the same thing I'm thinking of I actually used to have a couple.
                              Yep. Same birds but bred for bigger size now. I think A&M hand a hand in breeding bigger.

Comment

These are the ones i got...

Roux pharaoh, also known as Egyptian, hatching eggs is the roux dilute of the JUMBO wild. A rarity that has been bred for its unique color. These birds average 11.5 oz. and hatch out 95% true to parents coloration. These are feather sexable as well so you know at 3 weeks male from female! A great addition to any flock!!!
                                Last edited by Chew; 01-06-2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X