Drawn a tag at Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge- Boars Den unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn a tag at Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge- Boars Den unit

I just drew a tag to hunt this unit with a muzzleloader. Anyone have any advice or tips to hunting this area? or any pins they want to share.

Originally posted by bearbowkillkill View Post
    I just drew a tag to hunt this unit with a muzzleloader. Anyone have any advice or tips to hunting this area? or any pins they want to share.
    Love the honesty. lol

Comment

Alot of folks take the trail north (you have to start at the parking lot-only way in). There is a pipeline right-of-way where folks stage the length of it. I took the trail to the east at the split and went down it about 0.5 a mile. Then I went north about the same distance and made a blind in a palmetto stand. Took a doe and jumped another deer. Only two deer I saw. Hogs are everywhere except when I decided I would take one if found. Never saw them after that. It was about 80 degrees, 110% humidity and I encountered water moccasins on each trip in or out. The grass is knee deep. Bring snake boots and a deer cart.

I think the property owner on the south side of the unit has feeders. The first few hundred yards off the east/west trail is wide open under the trees. It gets crazy thick after that.

Comment

A buddy and I drew as well. Haven't been out yet but looking forward to it. We hunted Brierwood last year in archery.

Comment

I drew boars den for the gun hunt starting November 5th. From what I have read it looks like I should temper my expectations around deer but should have opportunities at pigs. Anyone else get drawn for this hunt?

Comment

Brierwood

Is anyone hunting Brierwood? I drew the rifle hunt. Never been. Looking for camping areas, will be solo.

Comment

I drew the this hunt today. Don’t know how excited I should be. There is almost no info.

Comment

This seems silly. The only opening on the nwr is that row.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

$100 a pin

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                        $100 a pin
                        Hahaha. So there is deer in there. Or you got hog spots��

Comment

I've worked on that ROW before and it's infested with hogs, I seem to remember there being more the closer to the river you get.

Comment

Several 140-150 class deer are killed every year from private land around the refuge. Those deer live on the refuge.

Find a road/pipeline/highline right of way and find where the sloughs drains intersect and follow those back into the woods until you find an oak flat. Use the wind, the bad thing about public hunting is you dont know who was there before you and what they blew out of that area.

I hunted private land in the area and would pass deer that most would shoot in East texas and even the hill country because the potential for a true giant was always a potential I personally have seen sheds from South of Boars den that scored over 160 and know of one deer North that was pushing 170. Deer and hogs live together in the wild so just because you see hogs does not mean there are no deer.

Comment

If you see the bat house tower take a picture and post it. It’s really cool and spooky lol !

Comment

Working...
                              X