No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 16th found me sitting alone for the first time of the season. I had hunted quite a few sits with my two nephews. The weather broke perfect for a hunt on one of my favorite stands. We have three mature bucks on the hit list there . An over the hill 20 inch 8pt, a heavy 9 with kicker on his base, and a typical 12 with flyers off his g3s. Dad immediately claimed the 14pt but didn't want to try bowhunting him.

Friday evening lil David killed a big hog and being 17yrs old...opted for a date instead of hunting Saturday. I knew things were right so I started a live thread and got in early. All was quiet until about 6pm when a doe stroll through picking up acorns.

Now I have a hand corn pen at 20 to 30yds situated between white oaks plots and in a natural funnel. The doe started working toward the corn but a great 3yr old 8pt cut her off and jumped in the pen. It just started raining deer. 4 does to my left. small 8 and 6pt out front. Two more does coming. All the while the pretty 8pt scarfing corn at 20yd.

With no warning, he hopped out the front side of the pen and walked in spitting distance of my tent blind. When he got far enough that I dared breathe, I saw why he left. The heavy 9 was coming at a stiff legged walk. Man what a brute body. Heavy bodied 6 or 7 year old deer but wont score a lot. I silently wished david was there. He hopped in the pen at 20 and went at that vanilla corn. I watch him eat about 20 minutes until a new 3yr old showed up. The 9 turned to chase him away. Decision time. Maybe 15 minutes of good light left. 23 yds from my tent blind that was elevated on a pile of dirt, I grunted at him. Steep quartering away the bolt hit him and he dash out about 50 yds. I lost sight of him fo no reason. Then there he was standing in the edge of the brush ten yds farther out. Nope, that would be a 14pt! The old stud postured and walked back and forth until it was too late to see.

It was about then I remembered I had a live thread going. I updated it and sneaked back to my truck. I gave him 30 minutes and went to check the arrow. The more I thought about it the more I figured that 14 was posturing at my dead deer. There was good blood on the first jump and an easy walk to my dead deer 50yds away. Thankfully he fell where I could get the truck to him.

I tied him to my reciever hitch and drug him to a ditch. I backed my tires into it and the tailgate was almost on the ground. it was still hard loading his fat butt!

Hope you had a fun date lil David...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GarGuy; 10-29-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Great re-cap, as usual.

Comment

Congrats on the buck Steve. Big bodied sucker

Comment

Been a weird year. I finished out with another crossbow buck. Not a very mature buck. He came in late and I had another old deer framed very much like this one. Anyway, he eats great! 31yd double lung. 50yd recovery
            Attached Files

Comment

Last day, I had several older deer on camera. Lil David decided to hunt with me Sunday in two counties . First was a deer that had been injured and never amounted to much. The other, an old 8pt with very weak brows. David made good rifle shows on both for a strong last day in the cold.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good job Lil David!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Been a weird year. I finished out with another crossbow buck. Not a very mature buck. He came in late and I had another old deer framed very much like this one. Anyway, he eats great! 31yd double lung. 50yd recovery
                  This has been an uncharacteristic year. Like I've never seen before, but in spite of everything, you still continue to put together a strong showing. Hat's off to you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                    This has been an uncharacteristic year. Like I've never seen before, but in spite of everything, you still continue to put together a strong showing. Hat's off to you sir!
                    Thanks. I had a couple of really good deer. Spent gun season trying to get one of them for Dad. Just never closed the deal but had some super hunts.

Comment

Congrats on y’all’s success and we sure appreciate the ride along this season.

Comment

Congrats on another successful year, i always enjoy reading about your hunts sir!

Comment

Thanks. I had a couple of really good deer. Spent gun season trying to get one of them for Dad. Just never closed the deal but had some super hunts.
                          Well that just means he's going to have to try again this coming season.

Comment

Great story, thanks for sharing

Comment

Enjoyed this years story's, and congrats to you and your group.

Rwc

Comment

Enjoyed your live hunts w pops..and with kiddos.

Comment

Working...
                                X