Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimizing arrow weight for big mechanicals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimizing arrow weight for big mechanicals?

Gentlemen, please don't beat me up but I am not the fantastic shot that some of you guys are. I shoot big mechanicals - specifically Rage Hypodermics because I like a little wiggle room if I fluff a shot. I am trying to see what weight arrows you guys are shooting for optimal penetration with the big broadhead. I currently shoot 405 grain TAW @ 276 FPS. I am thinking I may raise my draw weight, but if I can get better penetration by adding say 100 grains up front that would be my preference. Currently shooting a 350 spine at 27 3/8 @ 65#. What does the brain trust think?

Dump the mechanicals and go to a huge cut on contact broadhead...that is the single best thing for marginal shots IMO

Comment

I shot a 375 gr arrow 29” draw 70lbs with rage and slick tricks for years. I never had issues with pass throughs. Last year I changed my setup to 500 gr with rage trypans. Shoulder punched a buck on accident and glad I stepped up in arrow weight as it went through and stuck in the opposite shoulder blade. I know if I had my old set up that buck would have still been walking.

My new bow I’m shooting a 485 gr arrow and that seems to be the sweet spot for this now. After seeing the performance between the two arrows on my last bow I don’t think I’ll ever shoot an arrow under 475 personally.

Comment

What weight is your current insert? At your draw weight and draw length you may lose a good bit of speed if you go to a 100 grain insert. 405 grains should be fine for whitetail. If you are concerned about penetration maybe try Death's advice and try a big razor sharp CoC broadhead.

Comment

My current setup is 65 lbs
          300 Spine 28 1/4" arrow
          125 grain tip
          112.5 grain insert
          237.50 total grains up front.
          Total arrow weight: 547gr
          FOC: 16.9%
          I'm running a cut on contact Magnus 2 blade buzzcut and it railroads, but I'd have no problems threading a Rage into the end and sending it. I'm actually going to build some additional arrows to accommodate my 100 grain Swhackers and Rages by adding 25 grains to the new inserts, so they'll fly like field points for stupid long range pig hunting. If my bow was bare shaft and fixed broadhead tuned, I could use my cut on contacts. Oh wait... it is, and I could.... But my Trypans and Swhackers are gonna be my long range throw downs. They burn stuff up. [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot 450 grain arrow and have no problem running a 2 inch rage trypan through hogs or deer.. I'm pulling 74 lbs at 29 inches .. I do prefer to hand sharpen the broadheads before I use them though. I shot a doe this year that ducked my arrow.. severed her spine and the broadhead would still shave . Blade angle will eat up penetration .... I killed 3 doe and 2 hogs this year with the trypans. This was the first year trying mechanicals. Even though I had no problems I'm sticking with the exodus heads..
            Last edited by jds247; 12-31-2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

When you are off, are you hitting further up or further back? If you are further up, COC with 100 gr insert would be the way to go. If you are hitting back, stick with mechanical, increase draw weight and create the biggest hole you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                When you are off, are you hitting further up or further back? If you are further up, COC with 100 gr insert would be the way to go. If you are hitting back, stick with mechanical, increase draw weight and create the biggest hole you can.
                Honestly, most of my shots go exactly where I want. I do appreciate the added security of a 2" cut. The biggest issue is having to comfort my form to get the shot off. Seems like it never fails, but they always stand where I have to crouch or lean out to get the shot. When my form goes so does my accuracy. I may just add 50-75 grains up front as a compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                  Honestly, most of my shots go exactly where I want. I do appreciate the added security of a 2" cut. The biggest issue is having to comfort my form to get the shot off. Seems like it never fails, but they always stand where I have to crouch or lean out to get the shot. When my form goes so does my accuracy. I may just add 50-75 grains up front as a compromise.
                  ethicsarchery.com has a variety of inserts. Just know your arrows ID to select the right insert..

Comment

That was a janky pic.. lemme try it again.

Comment

I’m shooting a 460 grain arrow with a 50 grain insert and rage’s. 28 inch draw length at 78 pounds and shoot about 297 fps

Comment

I did this last off season and love my results. Shooting Easton Hexx 260, ethics inserts and 125 Stinger. Put total weight @500. Could drop down to 475-450 by adjusting insert or bh weight and pick up 5-10 fps but I don't plan on shooting past 40 anyway.

Comment

I raised my arrow weight from 425 to 525 grains for an Africa hunt this year. Once I saw the penetration I got with the extra weight I was sold and redid my whitetail setup. If you are shooting where you might have to guess a distance some what you might just stick with what you have and just turn your bow up. More weight means it'll drop faster so you have to be more dead nuts on with your range estimate. Ethics Archery can't be beat for customizing an arrow setup.

Comment

500 +/- a few. Shouldn’t lose too much speed but the extra thump is nice when you hit hard stuff

Comment

I to have ethics archery inserts. Good people.

Comment

Working...
                              X