2021 Season so far! (Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Season so far! (Long Read)

I don’t get on the green screen as much as I would like to anymore, but I’m gonna make a habit of getting back on here daily! I have had a heck of a season so far this year. From the extreme lows to the extreme highs of bowhunting. I’ll start from the beginning…. I booked a Kansas hunt with my dad and great friend of mine the first week of November. We got up there November 1st and we couldn’t have hit it better, the weather was perfect and the deer were moving. I sat 3 days for this one deer they had named Hollywood…. An absolute giant, I have one trail cam pic I’ll attach. Well he showed up Wednesday evening of that week and because of a doe that I didn’t know was right under me blew and really rushed the shot I ended up taking a quartering to shot and I thought I drilled him. Got about 13 inches of penetration and broke about 7 inches of arrow off in him. After walking 7 miles and getting a dog on the scene we never found him, I’ll attach a picture of the blood he dumped out the first 100 yards it was unreal. You wanna talk about heartbreak, this deer would probably been in the 80’s as a clean typical 11…. The good news is they have seen him pushing does recently and he seems to be perfectly fine besides a bit of a limp!

After coming home and finally getting back into the hunting spirit after my extreme heartache. I got back in the woods on the property where I lived chasing a deer I had named the prodigy buck. I honestly did not want to shoot this deer this year but due to extreme gun hunting pressure on all sides of my property I decided I would take him if he walked in. On opening weekend of rifle season we heard 12 gunshots and I just knew someone had shot him and low and behold 12 days later he showed up at my foodplot and I happened to be in the stand. When he walked in behind a few does I got the camera rolling and took my shot. It was a bit forward and high so I was super skeptical of the shot and felt Kansas happening to me all over again. I backed out immediately and went and reviewed the footage with my dad. Even the footage was hard to tell how good the shot was. After giving him several hours we went to look and the first blood I found had bubbles all in it and I knew he was dead. After a short track job we recovered the prodigy buck and the best part was my 3 year old son was there to help track him. He was super pumped!

So now the highs of bowhunting are starting to feel unreal and I’m gonna ride this one out!! I also hunt up in Oklahoma and I had a ancient buck showing up there that I decided if I ever saw him I was gonna shoot him. He was hands down the most mature deer I had and I had a feeling he was a bit of a bully. On November 26th it was 22 degrees when I left the house, I got in the stand and it just felt like one of those mornings you dream of as a bow hunter. Cold and crisp! Well I rattled right after first light and didn’t have anything respond and I gave it about 45 minutes and rattled again and out stepped the old freak buck, he was huge bodied I couldn’t believe how big his dang neck was! He walked out and made a scrape and came right in to 10 yards. I went to draw and the old boy knew something was up and he took off on a jog. I grunted at him 3 times and he finally stopped at about 35 yards. I shoot a single pin and I had it set at 20 so I held a little high and let’er rip! I double lunged the old warrior and I heard him crash about 60 yards from me!

He was a absolute brute of a deer and let me tell ya…. Once he was dead and I realized I had to load him by myself it got real quick fast and in a hurry! I about broke my back but I got him loaded! One thing I’ve learned from this season is enjoy the highs… because the lows freaking suck. I’m still sick to my stomach over the Kansas and not sure if I’ll ever get over it. So enjoy the successes as much as possible and soak in ever second of it! Cause if ya bowhunt long enough your gonna have a low! I know this was a long read and hope y’all enjoyed. I don’t know how to post videos on here but if you will look up broken country outdoors on Instagram or YouTube you can see the video of the prodigy buck. Goodluck to everyone for the rest of the season, shoot straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got yourself a couple of real nice bucks. Congratulations!!
    Sorry about the one that got away. It happens and we move on.

Comment

Bummer about that Kansas toad. That feeling sucks but at least he's alive and well and didn't disappear forever and leave you wondering.

That's a stud 8 and a great Oklahoma buck too! Congrats on a great season!

Comment

Working...
      X