No announcement yet.

6th Grader Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Twain once said: “When a boy turns 13, put him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole. When he turns 16, plug up the hole"

They are just hitting it earlier these days...

Comment

This is not going to help any, but my boy is 14 and is about 14 feet into the tunnel of stupidity. But as a conciliation, I had to two daughters that entered the tunnel of stupidity about the same age and both are about to exit it............I think....

Hang in there and pray.......allot.

Rwc

Comment

I have a boy same age/grade and the "bad look" on his face began about a year ago. I asked him what it was about and he would say "nothing". I put up with it for a couple weeks and then told him the next time I saw it, I was gonna bust his *** and give him something to look like that about. We have a big wooden spatula that my grandfather built years ago that's larger than an old school paddle that just sits in a vase of spatulas on the kitchen counter. He walked thru the kitchen one day shortly there after with "the look" and I didn't say a word, but grabbed it and took one swing hitting him on his butt with max force. It happened once more the exact same way and magically "the look" disappeared forever and never came back. Funny how that happens sometimes..... All has been great since....

Sometimes I think kids don't have enough to worry about and they have us as parents figured out. I think it's good for kids to think their parents have just enough crazy in them to snap at any moment.... keeps them guessing and on their toes.

Just my $0.02....

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          Probably needs to father to son come to Jesus merting. If that don't work probably needs his butt whipped.
          Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
          I have a boy same age/grade and the "bad look" on his face began about a year ago. I asked him what it was about and he would say "nothing". I put up with it for a couple weeks and then told him the next time I saw it, I was gonna bust his *** and give him something to look like that about. We have a big wooden spatula that my grandfather built years ago that's larger than an old school paddle that just sits in a vase of spatulas on the kitchen counter. He walked thru the kitchen one day shortly there after with "the look" and I didn't say a word, but grabbed it and took one swing hitting him on his butt with max force. It happened once more the exact same way and magically "the look" disappeared forever and never came back. Funny how that happens sometimes..... All has been great since....

Sometimes I think kids don't have enough to worry about and they have us as parents figured out. I think it's good for kids to think their parents have just enough crazy in them to snap at any moment.... keeps them guessing and on their toes.

Just my $0.02....
          Its a miracle isn't it?!

Comment

Too many people are worried about being too hard on their kids. Life is hard and our job as parents are to raise them to be prepared for life. I don't have one 13 yet but I remember that age and I was a lot like your son but I look back now and am thankful for the what I thought was harsh treatment by my parents. Remember this isn't a short term thing. Your not going to see change overnight its a long term thing so stay firm and consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              Its a miracle isn't it?!
              People can act like whooping solves everything, but if you don't get the right response from it, it is worthless.

You would not have liked whooping me at age 12 or 13. You would not have liked my response.

Comment

12 years old is to old for a butt whooping, but it’s just right for a straight up arse whooping. Atleast put the fear of God in him for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                  People can act like whooping solves everything, but if you don't get the right response from it, it is worthless.

You would not have liked whooping me at age 12 or 13. You would not have liked my response.

I respect your opinion but will have to agree to disagree. If your response was such at 12 or 13 then you weren’t whooped enough at a younger age. Boys need that spirit broke early and then maintained....only whoopin does that. (my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I respect your opinion but will have to agree to disagree. If your response was such at 12 or 13 then you weren’t whooped enough at a younger age. Boys need that spirit broke early and then maintained....only whoopin does that. (my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Exactly! If he woulda rebelled at 12/13 and fought back he wasnt disciplined/taught at a young age who the boss was.

Glad still some people understand.

Comment

You would be wrong again - I was whooped multiple times a week for as long as I can remember. Since the time I was walking, I was being whooped. I was hit with spoons, belts, sticks, curtain rods and whatever else He thought he could break off on me. Because of that, pain was not something I was afraid of.

My Dad was smart enough to realize that. There wasn't a whooping in the world that hit me harder than when my Mom started telling me how disappointed She was in me, and started crying when I came home from school after getting into a bigger than normal fight. Then my Dad said you are going to your football game and you will not play. You will support your team, but you will not be with them on the field. I felt terrible for letting my team down. I was more than angry, and it was in myself.

I changed because of the reactions of my Mom, and to the feeling of not being there for my teammates. Letting them down. Had nothing to do with being whooped.
                      Last edited by jer_james; 05-09-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                        You would be wrong again - I was whooped multiple times a week for as long as I can remember. Because of that, pain was not something I was afraid of.

My Dad was smart enough to realize that. There wasn't a whooping in the world that hit me harder than when my Mom started telling me how disappointed She was in me, and started crying when I came home from school after getting into a bigger than normal fight. Then my Dad said you are going to your football game and you will not play. You will support your team, but you will not be with them on the field. I felt terrible for letting my team down. I was more than angry, and it was in myself.

I changed because of the reactions of my Mom, and to the feeling of not being there for my teammates. Letting them down. Had nothing to do with being whooped.
                        So letting your teammates down was worse for you then letting your parents down. Definitely a different way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                          So letting your teammates down was worse for you then letting your parents down. Definitely a different way of thinking.
                          There's a part in there about my Mom as well - She had never cried after my Dad had whooped me before, or told me how disappointed she was in me while breaking down and crying.

Comment

Does he play video games? I cut that out for sure.

Comment

I agree its puberty most likely but I didn't give mine a pass on it at that age.

i found good solid manual labor to be a good deteriorate. Lots of post holes dug, fences built, barns cleaned, pens raked, tractors washed and greased things like that. I tried to keep them things that would benefit him later to learn.

But a good fast snatch and grab on occasion about the time a smart comment comes out of their mouth can do wonders.

Comment

Mine went through the same crud. He is 13.5 and the last couple of months have been way better. Thought I was going to strangle him at times. I didn't take into account what he was going through at first and we had some confrontations. I gave him some room while still holding standards we live by. I told him the other day that I see him turning the corner now. Heck, he even is laughing at some of my stupid Dad jokes. Seems to have reverted back to the boy I knew two years ago. We are still working on focusing on what's really important. But "Dream Killers" are starting to push their way to the front of the line and are occupying a bit more of his time than I would like.

Comment

Working...
                                X