Small tracts open to the public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small tracts open to the public

Hey guys. Have any of you hunted the small lots open to hut ing with aph? There used to be more that i remembered a few years back, but some of these are pretty cool on paper. How pressured are they usually?

I plan on hunting a few of them this year so maybe I’ll have some good info come end of season. I’ve heard of one around franklin that gets over run. Not much info on the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went and scouted a place in north Texas a week or so ago. The game warden was waiting for me when I came back to my car bc the place is open to dove hunting so he was checking if I had shot anything(I was just scouting). I asked him how much pressure the place got for deer hunting and he said that last year when they opened it up for the first time there were 160 people who deer hunted it according to the log book and there may have been more who never signed in. This is a place that would support about 4 guys if it was a regular deer lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
        I went and scouted a place in north Texas a week or so ago. The game warden was waiting for me when I came back to my car bc the place is open to dove hunting so he was checking if I had shot anything(I was just scouting). I asked him how much pressure the place got for deer hunting and he said that last year when they opened it up for the first time there were 160 people who deer hunted it according to the log book and there may have been more who never signed in. This is a place that would support about 4 guys if it was a regular deer lease.

I think I know which one you’re talking about. Did he say what the success rate was last year? Idk if they keep track of that. Not much prime hunting area in the unit I’m thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He didn't say success rate but did say they shot a bunch of deer. So many that they reduced the bag limit to 1 and eliminated firearms hunting after only 1 year. Based on my scouting they got most of the deer(very little sign that I saw) but still plenty of hogs and water moccasins to go around.

Comment

I haven't for deer but I went to a couple places in the panhandle the last 2 years for quail and pheasant. It wasn't worth the drive although I had a nice walk each hunt. I went to one the day it opened and there was already a lot of hulls and trash all over so I'm guessing it got hit pretty hard a couple days before. Unfortunately most anything in Texas that is open to the public is going to be heavily pressured because there isn't very much available

Comment

I will be hitting 2 of them this year so we'll see how that goes. I'm not expecting much but I think I could be surprised.

I was pretty disappointed the ones in Comal and Guadalupe County weren't renewed this year.

Comment

I've gone to a few for birds. Wouldn't do small tracts of public, but worth scouting to see pressure.

Comment

Trying not to have a defeatist attitude, but i would think anything close to population would be worked over pretty good. Im going to scout and see what i see. thanks guys.

Comment

luminant in Marquez ... near Franklin as mentioned has a lot of hunters.

Comment

You just have to get in earlier than the others and let them push deer to your arrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X