Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reasons NOT to build a 260 Rem for my daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    257 Roberts would be an outstanding option.

My dude...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7mm-08 would be my first choice, followed by 6.5cm.

Comment

260 v 7-08 isnt much different in recoil. Youll be better off letting her use .243 in this case.

Comment

Put me in the 6.5 Creedmoor camp as well. Not because it’s any better than a .260, but because of ammo availability, especially in the future. One day she might not have you around to hand load for her, and she might not want to mess with it, then the rifle ends up not getting used any more.

Buddy of mine just went through that, his dad had a 6mm Remington built when they were kids, it’s basically extinct. He ran through the last of the factory ammo, and does hand load, but hadn’t bought dies for it yet.

I can vouch for a 6.5 with a brake kicking very similarly to a .223 bolt gun. Both rifles were Weatherby Vanguards, shot back to back off a bench. Use the brake at the range with ear pro, take it off when you hunt. You’ll never develop a flinch.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
            Put me in the 6.5 Creedmoor camp as well. Not because it’s any better than a .260, but because of ammo availability, especially in the future. One day she might not have you around to hand load for her, and she might not want to mess with it, then the rifle ends up not getting used any more.

Buddy of mine just went through that, his dad had a 6mm Remington built when they were kids, it’s basically extinct. He ran through the last of the factory ammo, and does hand load, but hadn’t bought dies for it yet.

I can vouch for a 6.5 with a brake kicking very similarly to a .223 bolt gun. Both rifles were Weatherby Vanguards, shot back to back off a bench. Use the brake at the range with ear pro, take it off when you hunt. You’ll never develop a flinch.

There’s no excuse for that. There’s a multitude of companies that will load ammo for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I may not be "in the know", but I see no reason that the .260 will "go away".

Comment

If you already have the 7mm-08 components and are reloading anyways, I’d go that route

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                  Even if the 260 goes away there will always be 6.5 bullets and 243 brass. No problems.

Comment

It’s not going anywhere. There are still plenty of folks that shoot the 260 in spite of the Creedmoor popularity.

Comment

You can barely find creedmoor ammo right now, but there's plenty of 260 for sale.

Comment

Well, the stock came in yesterday. I think she picked a great color.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_103840.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	24634099

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_103745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	24634100

Comment

You won't have to reduce load the 6.5 Creedmoor and you will be throwing the same projectile.

Comment

Just put in my order at Pac-nor for the barrel, chambered and fit to the action. 260 Remington.
                            5r grooves at 9 twist cut to 24 in. Number 4 contour. The sectional density comment is basically what the deciding factor was. Also, if one gun shoots the 7mm-08 different from the other, I don't want to have to fool with keeping all that crap separate. I can get several boxes of Nosler ammunition from Midway and have the Nosler brass to reload. Bullets are abundant too. I have primers and some powder. Enough to get through. Just need another set of dies. That won't happen right now though, because the lead time on this thing is four to six months.

Comment

Just put in my order at Pac-nor for the barrel, chambered and fit to the action. 260 Remington.
                              5r grooves at 9 twist cut to 24 in. Number 4 contour. The sectional density comment is basically what the deciding factor was. Also, if one gun shoots the 7mm-08 different from the other, I don't want to have to fool with keeping all that crap separate. I can get several boxes of Nosler ammunition from Midway and have the Nosler brass to reload. Bullets are abundant too. I have primers and some powder. Enough to get through. Just need another set of dies. That won't happen right now though, because the lead time on this thing is four to six months.

Why did you choose 9 twist over 8 twist? You are going to be limited to 120-130 class bullets which somewhat defeats the advantages of the 6.5mm caliber bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Why did you choose 9 twist over 8 twist? You are going to be limited to 120-130 class bullets which somewhat defeats the advantages of the 6.5mm caliber bullets.

Agreed

Comment

Working...
                                X