Port A N Jetty From a Boat - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port A N Jetty From a Boat - Need Advice

Anybody have any advice for running a boat up to the Jetty and fishing for bull reds? I’ve got an ipilot TM and figured I could motor up and use the spot lock to fish but I’ve never motored around there or fished (I’ll be in a 20ft bay boat). Any dos or donts - I’m an experienced but cautious boater, just have never tried but I want to catch some bigger fish.

Much appreciated!

Geoff
    Last edited by gneimeth; 08-24-2020, 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling/extra word

Caught many a bull red from the rocks there. Lots of fun. Fish on the beach side and catch black tip eatin size.

Had one fish on, don’t know what it was, but it straightened out the hook.

Comment

i fish the N jetty from the rocks. There is every kind of boat imaginable around the jetty. A 20 foot bay boat on a calm to moderate day will do just fine. Make a wide turn.

Going around the end and fishing the north side will be much calmer than the channel. Stay a cast length or two off the rocks, drop down cut mullet, skipjack, finger mullet, etc and hold on. Plenty of reds on the channel side as well, just current, waves, and boat wakes can make it rough, sometimes. There is a yellow 'rig' sticking up about 3/4 of the way to the end on the channel side, i see folks anchor near it every trip to fish for bull reds.

If its really calm and the water is pretty- troll around the end of the N jetty with a rapala, big rattle trap or a ribbon fish. Kings are often thick our there.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
        i fish the N jetty from the rocks. There is every kind of boat imaginable around the jetty. A 20 foot bay boat on a calm to moderate day will do just fine. Make a wide turn.

Going around the end and fishing the north side will be much calmer than the channel. Stay a cast length or two off the rocks, drop down cut mullet, skipjack, finger mullet, etc and hold on. Plenty of reds on the channel side as well, just current, waves, and boat wakes can make it rough, sometimes. There is a yellow 'rig' sticking up about 3/4 of the way to the end on the channel side, i see folks anchor near it every trip to fish for bull reds.

If its really calm and the water is pretty- troll around the end of the N jetty with a rapala, big rattle trap or a ribbon fish. Kings are often thick our there.
        Man - that’s perfect! Thanks for the insight!

Comment

Don’t be this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post

This guy knows what he is talking about

I’ve never been fishing to the coast much but I love it I just don’t know much about it
            It’s neat to see these guys who are real good at it

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              Don’t be this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I PROMISE I don’t want to be THAT guy!

Comment

Fishing a moving tide(my favorite is outgoing) can be really good. Inside the channel can be great, just as mentioned above strong currents and large wakes from big boats can make things sporty. At all times Be ready to jump on the big motor just in case you need to get away from the rocks. May seem like overkill but I always have the throw cushion/rope and PFDs out and ready when I am near the jetties. Right now, you should be able to hammer kingfish trolling large swim baits, spoons, or tossing a big topwater plug around the end of the jetties.

Comment

If you are on the surf side of the north jetty, make sure you stay out a ways away from shore. I think about as close to shore as we could safely go, was maybe, halfway down the jetty, that was risky. We got turned sideways and then pushed towards the shore and the depth finder was saying we were in water we should get out of quickly. I remember it was fun getting out of there. Thought we were going to get capsized and or beached. I have not been there in many years, so I don't know if there are any wrecks sunk in the surf, or what the bottom is like after Harvey came through. I would assume the bottom still drops off at the same rate.

We used to fish the surf side of the north jetties many times, years ago. Out towards the end of the jetty, we used to catch a lot of small sharks and amberjacks. I means as fast as the line hit the water and made it 6 ft. 10 ft. deep, you had something on. I think the amberjacks were closer to the surface and the sharks on the bottom. The bait never hit the bottom, before something had it.

We got into schools of something, that could fight hard and cut large soft plastic lures in half, quickly. We don't know what we were into, but there was a lot of them, they were aggressive and kept biting our lures in half or breaking our line. Those schools were about half way to 3/4 of the way to the end of the jetty.

I the drum run should be happening in a few months. Then it would be good to be on the channel side. We also used to get into large schools of good sized specs in the channel, along the north jetty. Then have some Spanish mackerel come zipping through, while we were catching trout. We used to love the north jetty and San Jose.

Comment

Working...
                  X