22-250 help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22-250 help....

Ok guys, looking for recommendations on deer/hog round for 22-250. What are y’all having the best luck with?? Also what deer shot placement at have y’all had the best luck with? Thanks!

Gotta M77s varmint that I’ll be playing with soon.

For deer and hogs, i'm shooting the Federal Premium with 60gr Nosler partition. Has worked great if your gun with stabilize the 60gr bullet.
    If not, try the Barnes TSX in 50gr, buddy shoots it out of his Ruger and has worked well too.

Comment

Green/yellow box Remington ammo. 55gr PSP shoots 3-shot ragged hole out of my sendero.
      Ear, neck, high shoulder has dumped everything I’ve shot.

Comment

hWhat's the twist on your barrel? I had the best luck with Federal Powershock(Blue Box) 55gr. Made the biggest exit hole, if you shot them right behind the shoulder. Shot several doe's quartering toward and the base of the bullet came out the off side after breaking the shoulder. Good ammo, priced right. On a big buck I would stay away from the shoulder with a 22-250. Just put it in the boiler room and they're toast.

Lot's of Texas deer have been killed with a 22-250 and Remington PSP bought at Walmart. My gun just liked the Federal better. And the Federal bullets seemed to expand better.
        Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-20-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
          For deer and hogs, i'm shooting the Federal Premium with 60gr Nosler partition. Has worked great if your gun with stabilize the 60gr bullet.
          If not, try the Barnes TSX in 50gr, buddy shoots it out of his Ruger and has worked well too.
          This is what I use ^^^^

Went 7-7 on deer last year and so far I am 3-3 on pigs this year. Furthest shot was 250 yards and all in the shoulder or behind the shoulder.
          Last edited by 150class; 08-20-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
            Green/yellow box Remington ammo. 55gr PSP shoots 3-shot ragged hole out of my sendero.
            Ear, neck, high shoulder has dumped everything I’ve shot.

I was hoping I could still take the high shoulder shot. Good results I assume?

Comment

For factory loads the Remington 55 gr psp works awesome out of both of our 22-250's. With handloads I used to like the 55 gr Sierra Gamekings. I've killed no telling how many deer (a thousand maybe?) with those Remington 55gr. Neck, shoulder, behind the shoulder. Never really mattered where. On bigger bucks I would probably just go behind the shoulder.

Comment

I shoot Nosler 55-gr Ballistic tips at 3550 fps and it knocks them in the dirt---I shoot only ear-hole shots, no body shots.

Comment

Remington 55 grain psp. High neck shots is how I was taught over 35 years ago. I wouldnt even try to guess how many deer i have killed with it, never had one even think about trying to get up.

Comment

I used to use 55 gr. hollow points. I loaded to around 3800 fps. Then neck shot straight on from the front. Instant deer on the ground. I have killed numerous that way. A buddy of mine many years ago, shot one some where in the chest, it ran, left virtually no blood, then no blood at all, we eventually lost it. I know if you make a good shot, such as a heart shot, they will be down very quickly, but likely still little blood to follow.

I know many guys like loading 62, 68 and 80 gr. bullets in 223s and shooting deer in the chest, say it works great. I never knew of anyone using anything heavier than a 55 gr. in a 22-250. I never tried the heavier bullets in either a 223 or a 22-250. I stuck with frontal neck shots. Doing it that way, I never had a problem. I know of multiple lost deer, from side neck shots. Seems to be harder to figure out where the spine is on a side shot, if it don't hit the spine they may go down for a little while, then they jump back up and run. Most likely you won't find the deer.

I can say the neck shots with a 55 gr. hollow point, leaving the barrel at 3800 fps. Does things, that you probably wont' expect. When you see the damage, you will understand, that deer had not chance of going anywhere.

One of the first I shot in the neck, went in the front, something exited on the rear side of the neck, not sure what all exited the rear of the neck. There was a tiny hole on the front side. Then about 8" to 10" of the neck, felt like it was full of crushed ice. There was at least 8" of vertebrates that were in thousands of little pieces. Then when I looked at the back side of the neck, it looked like it had been sliced with a sharp knife, vertically. About a 4" to 6" long slice on the back of the neck, for a exit wound. That one deer was the only one with the long slice on the back of it's neck. But everyone I shot in the neck with the 22-250, had that crunchy neck syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                      I was hoping I could still take the high shoulder shot. Good results I assume?
                      Definitely, they don’t take a step after high shoulder shot. And a stated directly on above post, a throat patch shot is legit.

Comment

I shoot 55 grain Hornady vmax. I only take neck or head shots with that round there. They drop right where they stood.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          This is what I use ^^^^

Went 7-7 on deer last year and so far I am 3-3 on pigs this year. Furthest shot was 250 yards and all in the shoulder or behind the shoulder.

We have only shot deer with them. But all behind the shoulder. They either drop or don’t go far. Leave a good blood trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X