Bought my first Muzzleloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought this from Jstamps50 this week. Got it all outfitted and shot it today. I put a 3x9x40 scope...way more than enough. I don’t plan on shooting more than 150yrds depending on how well I shoot it.

Today was just testing the waters. Just a few clicks off from zero. Will shoot more tomorrow.

I’m going to experiment with the 250 and 295gr bullets.

Thanks to Tonypic for all the ML advice.

Here’s the products I bought with it. If anybody has further advice, please let me know, especially on cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and you are welcome.
    I see patches and bore butter, good for cleaning. The Powerbelt bullets do NOT use patches. The base that holds the bullet does the job gas checking and that is what actually gets rifled as it shoots out the barrel. The power belt never gets lands and grooves on it. You will find that after each shot the accuracy may change and the pressure needed to push a bullet down the barrel will change. They sell some pre-soaked patches for quick range wiping/cleaning to help[ with that.
    What I do not see is a Jag. That is a cleaning head that will hold patches and such when cleaning the barrel. Buy one made of brass. It should screw onto the head of your ram rod.
    Again. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

I do have a jag, not pictured and a t-handle starting short rod. I think I need a longer cleaning rod though as the main ram rod which has the jag- even with the T handle added is about 2 inches shorter than it needs to be.

Overall- very happy with shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did just get on Amazon and ordered some pre-soaked #13tc patches and a container/solution to clean the breech plug.

Comment

I have the same gun. Bought it for CO elk hunting, as well as local muzzleloader hunts. Mine came with a longer cleaning jag that screws onto the other end of the ram rod, I can see how it would have gone missing second hand, but CVA parts are easy to get.

I put one of these peep sight bases with Leupold QR rings, as you can’t run a scope out there.

The system works well aside from finding the peep too small in dark timber, everything is just brown through it and unfortunately I missed.

I’ve been shooting 90 gr of BH209 loose powder and a Thor 300gr bullet, as I just wanted one load that’s legal and does the job for everything. Apparently it’s way cleaner than other stuff, and you are able to load multiple bullets without cleaning, but it will rust quickly if left dirty.

I found mine would throw the first shot about 2” to the right when clean. Up to you if you want to plan on firing a fouling shot before the hunt and having it on for follow up shots, or sight it in cleaning the barrel every time.
          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 08-15-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I've only put about 12 shots through it sighting it in, but at 50yrds right now I'm in a 4in circle. Going to shoot more this week. Can't wait to kill a deer with it.

Comment

Working...
            X