No announcement yet.

308 vs 6.5 Cr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to be different. Much different. That's why I came up with a .338WSM Loudenboomer many years ago long before there were even SAMI specs out on the 338/300 WSM. RCBS made me the one off custom dies and a custom chamber reamer by Clymer. I'm not sure if these were what was used to transfer to SAMI spec but the dimensions are the same. All I know is I was there first.
    The 338WSM is near identical to Lazzeroni Galaxy round and I used Lazzeroni load data for my loading.
    Max primer flattening loads with 200gr Accubonds chrono 3240 avg.
    I slow that down to 2950 for my hunting loads. I mostly load with Barnes TTSX bullets and the accuracy is sub .5 moa.
    I start with 300 WSM cases and run the expander ball thru the neck in my RCBS Magnum press and go from there. Win 760 and H414, with GMM magnum primers.
    Recoil ain't bad on the Browning A-bolt but it sure ain't no girly boy gun. Oh and there's a reason for my screen name
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-04-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

They're both fine and will kill whatever you double-lung shot with them. I do wonder if the .308 will be an also-ran like the 30-30 or 30-06 in ten years

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        They're both fine and will kill whatever you double-lung shot with them. I do wonder if the .308 will be an also-ran like the 30-30 or 30-06 in ten years
        I do not. 30-30 is a good lever cowboy gun but nothing to write home about on ballistics. 30/06 a great round but i think you get the same plus a little out of the .308, which i like better for ballistics. But yea, as many AR10's out there in 308, military contracts etc, i don't see it going anywhere any time soon or 10 years. That said i absolutely see them marketing the hell out of another "new" round like they did with the 6.5 CM , which they hit a home run with. Example, the 6mm aka .243. People act like the 6.5 CM is some miracle gun, and don't get me wrong, it's a great round for distance, but is it reallllllly that different than a traditional .270.....? Especially inside 500 yards...?

Comment

I've shot deer with both and they seem to perform about the same, like many others have said.

Comment

Working...
          X