Mower wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mower wont start

I have a Craftsman lawn mower with a Honda engine that is about 8 years old that won't start. I let it sit over a year without starting it which I am sure is the root of my problem. On the second pull it will start but only run for a second or two. Then I can pull 10 times and nothing happens. I wait about a minute and first or second pull it will run for a second or two. I have already gotten all the old gas out, taken apart the carb and cleaned it. The spark plug looks ok and since it runs for a second or two I am guessing it is firing but it is next on my list to change since it is cheap.

Does anyone else have any insight on what else i can try or look out for? Thanks in adance.

Will it run with the choke on? Im sure its something in the carb trash etc. Small engines can be aggravating.

Comment

drain the fuel out of the carb and tank and add new fuel filter, add seafoam and fresh fuel let it sit for 10 minutes. fire it up. may have to get it going with starting fluid to help it along. should work no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
        Will it run with the choke on? Im sure its something in the carb trash etc. Small engines can be aggravating.
        Agreed...... I hate small engines. By the time I get it pull started and switch hands so I can free up my left hand to try to hold the choke open and not let the run level down, the engine has already died. I thought last night that I would try it today with the choke taped open.

Comment

may have a wire loose or a safety switch that has a bad connection too

Comment

Sounds like you still have something in the carb or fuel line. I usually try to clean a small engine carb once or twice and if still not working, buy a new carb. They are so cheap nowadays. lol

J

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
              drain the fuel out of the carb and tank and add new fuel filter, add seafoam and fresh fuel let it sit for 10 minutes. fire it up. may have to get it going with starting fluid to help it along. should work no problem.
              Done all that minus the seafoam but I used carb cleaner extensively while the carb was apart and it didn't look bad. I am not sure if this engine has a fuel filter on it but I will look now.

Comment

Prime it a few times them try to start with the fuel cap off

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Prime it a few times them try to start with the fuel cap off
                  Will try. Thank you.

Comment

The jet has debris in it. Take it out and run a thin wire through it. Hold it up to the light and make sure you can see through it.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                      Sounds like you still have something in the carb or fuel line. I usually try to clean a small engine carb once or twice and if still not working, buy a new carb. They are so cheap nowadays. lol

J
                      This! Also new fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Booger74 View Post
                        This! Also new fuel.

Agreed. If you drained the gas and refilled up the tank with the old gas can that's been sitting there for a year your not really doing much. Try new gas.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                          Agreed. If you drained the gas and refilled up the tank with the old gas can that's been sitting there for a year your not really doing much. Try new gas.
                          I got fesh gas in it that I got from the pump this morning.

Comment

Have the same mower. Mine did the exact same thing. Took that **** thing about half a dozen times but could never fix it. Finally took it to a small engine guy and he got it running smooth. It was worth it take it to him.

I've start using only 100% gasoline and burning it all the way out after every use. It now starts on first pull every time.

Comment

I went through this last week. I found my mower on youtube and watched tutorials on cleaning the carb. It was easy peasy and it cranked right up. Even found the briggs and stratton carb on amazon for $30 in case I needed to replace it. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X