Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin View Post
    So what is everyone’s preferred method to extract the juice from the prickly pears
    I used the method in the video I posted earlier in the thread. Boil, then smash with potato masher, then run through strainer

Comment

So where’s the wine recipe?

Comment

Pears are still on plants. Just thought I'd let some know.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
          One more thing to do with the syrup....

Made whiskey sours tonight at the neighbors and used the prickly pear syrup instead of simple syrup....delicious!

Dang now I wish I had cactus on our place so I can make syrup for whiskey sours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
            Dang now I wish I had cactus on our place so I can make syrup for whiskey sours!

Young leaves sliced in the skillet with a little olive oil is pretty good too. Use a handheld propane torch to singe the burs off.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

syrup/jelly

well, my wife, who is a bad a#$% in the kitchen, has made prickly pear syrup and jelly. BUT!!, she also made jalepeno prickly pear jelly and syrup. it is delicious. she's been making mixed drinks w/the non-jalep syrup, and i've been destroying the toast lately.

there used to be a feller in luling, at the tracks, that sold habanero mango jam. best sweet stuff i ever had. i think his wife became ill and he gave up on the stand

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Got some prickly pear wine brewing as we speak. First go at it.
                Update: Didn't work out. Tasted like poo. Gonna try again.

Comment

Tag

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Five cups of sugar would make a terd tasty

Comment

Many pears are still on the plant for picking.

Comment

I was at our place down south last weekend and the pears were pretty much all dried up. I'll get after 'em next year a little earlier!

Comment

I’ve made 3 batches of the Prickly Pear Jam so far and each batch has gotten better by decreasing the amount of sugar. You end up tasting more of the fruit which is very tasty. Batch #1: I picked the pears using gloves and long metal tongs. Burned each tuna to get rid of the stickers then boiled and juiced them and then made the jam following the link to the You Tube video. Batches 2 & 3: happy accident - I had about 5 gallons of fresh tunas and no time to deal with them. So I bagged the whole tunas (no processing of them in any way) and put them in the freezer. A week later, I thawed a bag of the frozen tunas and found they get really mushy when the thaw. That’s when I found it’s much easier to juice the tunas, plus I think you get a better yield using the frozen tunas. Here’s my current jam recipe: per 2 cups of Prickly Pear Juice, add 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons no sugar pectin, 1.5 cups of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of butter/margarine (reduces “foaming”). Yield Batch #2 = 6 half pint jars of jam. Thanks Yield Batch #3 = 7 half pint jars of jam.

BTW, I made simple Prickly Pear syrup as a margarita mixer and the wife really enjoys it. Here’s the recipe I used for the syrup: per 1 cup of Prickly Pear Juice (heated to just below boiling) add 1.0 to 1.5 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Once cooled, transfer to a jar and refrigerate.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

I now know what I am doing next year!!! Awesome thread.

Comment

jelly

she used 1/2 the recommended amount of sugar. i think that's why i like it so much, not too sweet.

we put some p. pear syrup over blue bell vanilla last night.. i told her to send it to blue bell.. it was great

ours is considerably darker that other's jelly/jams. we used only the ripest fruit
                              Attached Files

Comment

We made some a couple weeks ago. First attempt was ok, second one was great.

Comment

Working...
                                X