Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    A shame really that you spend $70k for a new top of the line truck and then have to spend another $3k to have it fixed where it is even safe to drive. My friend has the 2018 F250 6.7 and the dealer has given him the run around 3 times now and it still is not fixed even after doing the stabilizer so called fix. He is afraid to even pull his boat with it. He is now taking it to an independent shop to have adjustable caster mechanisms installed and some other sort of steering stabilzers. He described the shake as feeling like the front wheels were about to tear off the truck and the whole truck shook so violently he thought he was going to roll it at 65 mph.

$3K? Closer to $300

Comment

I had my 2018 death wobble repaired in 2019 and it started doing it again in 2020. I had it fixed last month and haven't had an issue, yet.

Ford put out a warranty bulletin on F250's stating they were extending the warranty for that service to 100,000 miles.

Comment

If I still owned my 2014 F350 I would probably try the Readylift track bar that completely replaces the ball joint. It looks like a better option than the adjustable one I tried prior to getting tired of messing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          A shame really that you spend $70k for a new top of the line truck and then have to spend another $3k to have it fixed where it is even safe to drive. My friend has the 2018 F250 6.7 and the dealer has given him the run around 3 times now and it still is not fixed even after doing the stabilizer so called fix. He is afraid to even pull his boat with it. He is now taking it to an independent shop to have adjustable caster mechanisms installed and some other sort of steering stabilzers. He described the shake as feeling like the front wheels were about to tear off the truck and the whole truck shook so violently he thought he was going to roll it at 65 mph.
          Agreed that it is silly they haven't fixed the problem but if anyone drops 3k on the fix then they got taken advantage of.

Comment

So. I am bumping this up to the top again.

I bought a 2020 F250 in November. This weekend heading to Lubbock just north of Hamilton. All Hell broke loose in my front end. I had to limp it back into Killeen to get it where there was a Break Check. Its now sitting at Automax Ford in Killeen service department. Truck has 7K on it. Not 70K yes 7k just had its first oil change.

I live in Friendswood. Outside of Houston this should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
              So. I am bumping this up to the top again.

I bought a 2020 F250 in November. This weekend heading to Lubbock just north of Hamilton. All Hell broke loose in my front end. I had to limp it back into Killeen to get it where there was a Break Check. Its now sitting at Automax Ford in Killeen service department. Truck has 7K on it. Not 70K yes 7k just had its first oil change.

I live in Friendswood. Outside of Houston this should be interesting.

Dang, I thought they were supposed to have it fixed on the 20+ models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm about to cross the 100,000 mile mark in my 2018 F-250 6.7 and I have been free and clear of it. I did upgrade front end shocks when I had the leveling kit put on and around 65,000 miles upgraded to the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. Hoping I can stay away from the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                  I'm about to cross the 100,000 mile mark in my 2018 F-250 6.7 and I have been free and clear of it. I did upgrade front end shocks when I had the leveling kit put on and around 65,000 miles upgraded to the Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. Hoping I can stay away from the problem...
                  it didn't hit my 2012 until after 200k. New shocks haven't fixed it. I just keep it at 55 or less most of the time and no issue. 60+ and clinch my butt cheeks every time I hit a bump in the road. It does seem to be on my passenger front tire mostly. All ball joints are good, bearings are good, shocks are fairly new. Looks like I am going to have to look into the bracket that fixes the problem.

Comment

I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. At about 28,000 miles my boss and were driving on the interstate about 80mph and went over a concrete bridge.
                    When I hit the uneven surface I got the death wobble. I had the original cheap Goodyear tires on it and they were getting worn down. I thought that might be the problem. I put new tires on, Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX, in the same size as the originals and I have not had the problem since. I just rolled over 50,000 miles this past weekend.
                    I know the problem is real but putting a good set of tires on my truck seemed to fix the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Has Ford ever determined what exactly the problem is ? Solid axle in front ? What does it take to fix ?

Comment

Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

There are to many reasons it can happen. Multiple issues can cause this even in new trucks. But all straight axles vehicles can get the wobbles. Jeep Ford and Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When It was up on the lift. The front clip is press bolted to the subframe of the truck.
                          You could grab the front tire and push on it. When you did the that clip/frame connection would shift up and down about 1/2" on the drivers side and the passenger side it had almost sheared off a few of the bolts.
                          I think its is not an axel or shock issue. I believe that this is a structure issue that manifest its self in the suspension. If you re-compress the bolts is secures the frame again. Problem goes away.

We will see what they say. I am waiting on my call back from the service guy.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                            When It was up on the lift. The front clip is press bolted to the subframe of the truck.
                            You could grab the front tire and push on it. When you did the that clip/frame connection would shift up and down about 1/2" on the drivers side and the passenger side it had almost sheared off a few of the bolts.
                            I think its is not an axel or shock issue. I believe that this is a structure issue that manifest its self in the suspension. If you re-compress the bolts is secures the frame again. Problem goes away.

We will see what they say. I am waiting on my call back from the service guy.
                            What's a press bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              What's a press bolt?

Comment

. Well, that could be an issue

Comment

Working...
                                X