No announcement yet.

Rifle for bench shooting up to 600y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

243 HSM factory loaded ammo . Other than that just reload . 105s at 3200 fps is hard to beat no matter what case is behind it

Comment

Fairly broad criteria. Some really good options already. As mentioned the rave is now the 6 GT, someone mentioned the dasher above. The dasher is very cool but the COAL is a tad to short and feeding sometimes can be annoying without some mag mods. The GT is a tad longer with crazy ballistics. Low recoil, outperforms the 6mm Creedmore, and barrel life is much better than the PRC options. I currently have a rifle being built in the GT but I can spot my shots with a range of rifles. To me, the weight and fit allows me to see impact, and not so much caliber. Not sure what your budget is. If you want something over the counter (box gun), then I would go with a 6mm Creed. Custom I would probably chose a 6 GT.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
        Fairly broad criteria. Some really good options already. As mentioned the rave is now the 6 GT, someone mentioned the dasher above. The dasher is very cool but the COAL is a tad to short and feeding sometimes can be annoying without some mag mods. The GT is a tad longer with crazy ballistics. Low recoil, outperforms the 6mm Creedmore, and barrel life is much better than the PRC options. I currently have a rifle being built in the GT but I can spot my shots with a range of rifles. To me, the weight and fit allows me to see impact, and not so much caliber. Not sure what your budget is. If you want something over the counter (box gun), then I would go with a 6mm Creed. Custom I would probably chose a 6 GT.
        I am going to go with a 6GT when I rebarrel my current PRS gun.

I will echo the 6 creed comments above.

Comment

Great article on ballistic coefficient, sectional density, and G1 vs G7 drag model. In summary, long, slender bullets of greater weight will result in higher BC and therefore better for longer range shooting. 6.5 creed would be my choice. I have two 6.5 rifles but I just hunt with them. Recoil isn't bad. Sierra has at least one bullet with a .7x BC. I haven't shot a 6MM CM so I can't compare but if recoil is similar, I'd go 6.5 for the added weight improvement on BC.

Tom says Ballistic Coefficient & Bullet Math is simple, keep reading to learn some shooting skills in our new long-range shooting science series.
          Last edited by ken800; 05-14-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I went with a Savage desert tactical in 6.5 cred. Should arrive next week!.

Rifle is threaded, so now I "need" a muzzle break and a silencer!... Any suggestions? experiences?.

Comment

I have a few .260 remingtons that shoot really well and have very little recoil. Even though it is identical ballistics as a 6.5 creed, I prefer not having to say I shoot a 6.5 creed.

Comment

While not exactly what you asked, but a 22lr bench gun out to 400 yards has become the most fun thing I've done in years and yes, you will learn how to read wind!

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                  Great article on ballistic coefficient, sectional density, and G1 vs G7 drag model. In summary, long, slender bullets of greater weight will result in higher BC and therefore better for longer range shooting. 6.5 creed would be my choice. I have two 6.5 rifles but I just hunt with them. Recoil isn't bad. Sierra has at least one bullet with a .7x BC. I haven't shot a 6MM CM so I can't compare but if recoil is similar, I'd go 6.5 for the added weight improvement on BC.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/07/bal...ange-shooting/
                  6.5 wins the BC war with the 140+ class projectiles, but you can outrun BC. 6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t have enough case capacity to take advantage of the super high BC .264 pills. Those are better suited for the 264 WM, 26 Nosler, and 6.5 SAUM class. Recoil on a 6 Creedmoor is considerably lighter than the 6.5, and I’ll a .536 BC at 3100 all day over a .646 at 2750. My 6 in a 10 MPH crosswind at 1K is 6.6 MILs and 1.6 windage. The 6.5 Creed pushing a 140 ELDM is going to run 9.6 and 1.7 windage. BC helps, but it can only overcome so much speed difference. For 1200 and in I’ll take a 6 Creed all day long over the 6.5.

Comment

Originally posted by texasbbq View Post
                    While not exactly what you asked, but a 22lr bench gun out to 400 yards has become the most fun thing I've done in years and yes, you will learn how to read wind!
                    Which gun do you use for the 22lr at 400 yards?.
                    How about ammo?
                    It sounds very interesting and challenging!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      6.5 wins the BC war with the 140+ class projectiles, but you can outrun BC. 6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t have enough case capacity to take advantage of the super high BC .264 pills. Those are better suited for the 264 WM, 26 Nosler, and 6.5 SAUM class. Recoil on a 6 Creedmoor is considerably lighter than the 6.5, and I’ll a .536 BC at 3100 all day over a .646 at 2750. My 6 in a 10 MPH crosswind at 1K is 6.6 MILs and 1.6 windage. The 6.5 Creed pushing a 140 ELDM is going to run 9.6 and 1.7 windage. BC helps, but it can only overcome so much speed difference. For 1200 and in I’ll take a 6 Creed all day long over the 6.5.
                      Fair enough... There are a LOT of people using 6mm variations over the 6.5 in competition. In reality, if you total up all the 6BR variations + 6 creed, they dominate the overall number of people in PBR shooting. That said, he did say "up to" 600 yards, though, and the difference between the two inside of 600 is negligible. All of my weapons serve multiple purposes through ammo choice so a 6.5 creed makes way more sense for me since there are so many factory loads available at your corner big box store and I don't have time to reload any more. If I were to go full on competition and was willing to dedicate the money (and time) for a BR rifle, I would almost certainly go with a 6 creed.

Comment

Modern 223’s are easily a 700 yard Gun all day.
                        Yes .264/6.5 Bullets are all the rage now. But a cheaper/fun bench challenge would be a .223.

You honestly don’t need to over think it. Get a good barrel and better glass and you’re good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                          How about ammo?
                          We have several setups Ruger RPR, CZ 457 MTR, CZ 452 Varmint, Kimber Hunter most have SWFA 10x SS scopes and at least 20 MOA bases. We mostly dial for the drops but holdover with a few of the setups that don't allow.

We have moved to subsonic 22lr ammo because it seems to be a little more accurate at these ranges but wind is the real challenge. We are shooting at steel targets with wind flags all along the ranges.

It's crazy fun to hear the hits way out to 300-400 yds.

Good luck.

Comment

I see a CZ 457 Varmint in my near future. That sounds very challenging and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                              How about ammo?
                              It’s a lot of fun and a real eye opener.

Here’s my 22 trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                                It’s a lot of fun and a real eye opener.

Here’s my 22 trainer.

Wowza. That's a little nicer than our setups. Beautiful rifle! With the can it's way better to hear your hits w/o hearing protection.

Dammit, I've got to go find some funds.

Comment

Working...
                                X