Rifle for bench shooting up to 600y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle for bench shooting up to 600y

Looking for a rifle to do more bench shooting. I was thinking on a savage carnitas on 223. Any of you shoot one? I want a round that I can spot my own shoots, and Maybe some carmín hunting.

I do like carnitas

I’d recommend something with a better BC. And something easier to spot misses with. The wind will push a .224 Bullet pretty bad.

I had a 223 AI at one time slinging 80 gr Amax bullets. Legit 1k+ yard 223. It was fun. But the wind beat that little Bullet up bad.

Comment

I think you’re going to see a lot of options here, but also consider whether you reload or not. If by being able to spot your own shots you’re meaning low recoil, then you’re also wanting to stay away from the magnum cartridges.

The 6.5 CM (man bun) catches a lot of grief here, but in reality it’s a very good cartridge and comes with a great amount of ammo variety. I don’t own one, but if I had the desire to get into long range shooting I’d look at that round pretty quick.

Comment

Not sure if you reload or not so I'm going to say 6 creed in a heavy rifle. The creed has excellent factory offerings and great premium brass available.

As Matt stated the 223 will get beat up in the wind. A heavy 6mm will do much better and keep recoil way down.

I'm getting ready to break in a little budget rig I've been accumulating parts for this week. Its a 6 dasher which further reduces recoil. Its weighing in at 15 pounds as its sits, i may take it to 17 later depending on how it feels on the bench although I have a feeling it will be fine as is.

Below is the dasher next to my 22-250AI.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200507_183232.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	24617171Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_083219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24617172

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been wanting to build a 243. Thought about an AI but not sure yet

Been looking at Shilen Barrels.
          1/8 twist. 105-108 grain bullets. 20-22”

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
            I’ve been wanting to build a 243. Thought about an AI but not sure yet

Been looking at Shilen Barrels.
            1/8 twist. 105-108 grain bullets. 20-22”

This is my suggestion. My last one was an absolute hammer!! 105s at that time just under 3k feets a second. Tons of fun to shoot also

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I don’t reload... maybe I need two guns!!. One for under 300 yards and another for longer shots!... I’ll take a look at the 6 cred. Great looking build

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
              Not sure if you reload or not so I'm going to say 6 creed in a heavy rifle. The creed has excellent factory offerings and great premium brass available.

As Matt stated the 223 will get beat up in the wind. A heavy 6mm will do much better and keep recoil way down.

I'm getting ready to break in a little budget rig I've been accumulating parts for this week. Its a 6 dasher which further reduces recoil. Its weighing in at 15 pounds as its sits, i may take it to 17 later depending on how it feels on the bench although I have a feeling it will be fine as is.

Below is the dasher next to my 22-250AI.
              [ATTACH]1003149[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1003150[/ATTACH]

Comment

Imo- the creed is the way to go if you don't currently reload.

If you want a bench / hunting rig I'd say the 65 creed as it provides a lot more terminal pop then the 6. If it's mostly a bench rig like mine the 6 lowers recoil a bit. Both will do the job but the 65 likely has more factory ammo offerings.

Comment

I'd go with a 6mm creed. shooting 108 gr. eld-m.

Comment

6 Creed would be my recommendation. 243 offers very similar performance, but it’s factory quality heavy options are lacking. The 6 Creed is a breeze to shoot to 600, and offers very effective results more than double that distance.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      6 Creed would be my recommendation. 243 offers very similar performance, but it’s factory quality heavy options are lacking. The 6 Creed is a breeze to shoot to 600, and offers very effective results more than double that distance.

Yeah I prefer the 243 for the reload options but the 6creed is easier for non loaders.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I’ve got a 6x47 Lapua in the classifieds I’ve been trying to sell- would require you to reload. If you’re interested shoot me a PM

Comment

I will second the 6 creed. Super accurate cheap factory ammo with a high BC. I haven’t stretched mine out yet. But it hammers tiny little groups.

Comment

I have a Savage 22-250 benchrest rifle that has an aftermarket Shilen select barrel.
                            Please PM me your contact info and I’ll shoot over pics.
                            This is the target left port, right bolt action.
                            Setting in an HS Precision stock. It will shoot in the low .1’s.

Comment

Pic of the Savage BR rifle
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X