New Truck Shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Truck Shortage

After seeing several videos of thousands of new truck parked in huge lots due to lack of computer chips chips, I got to thinking if I would want to buy one of these trucks after sitting for who knows how long. What kind of problems(if any) might they acquire sitting in a lot for up to a year that you would have to deal with if you purchased one. Would yo want to buy one or would you wait a year or 2 till the inventory that was waiting for the chips was depleted.

I’m waiting at least 2 yrs! I’m being even more careful in my driving because mine can’t be replaced! They will be selling these as 2022 vehicles and they will be at a minimum of 1 yr old already! Ford says it will be late august of 22 so those Should be 23’s!

Comment

My buddy works for a Ford dealership and he told me about this shortage a couple days ago. And the issue with the chips.

He said he is nearly out of F150's and has no F250's. Hard to believe dealerships are seeing this after reading that nearly 1 million new F150's are sold each year in the US.

Some crazy times we live in. Sorry, continue to live in.....

J

Comment

Still building Tundra’s

Comment

I worked 30+ years in the grocery business. We had an old saying, "It`s better to be looking at it than looking for it". I also had 14+ years in manufacturing (O&G related) and I know that excess inventory cause by over production can lead to lots of issues with stored inventory. Unfortunately, some of those problems aren`t discovered until the aged inventory is received by the customer. I think that is what will happen with all of these stored trucks.

They have a saying in lean manufacturing in the automobile industry, "Just in time" which refers to an assembly item showing up in the assembly line at the precise time and place it is needed for assembly. I think they will rename the process to "It`s about FN time" when these computer chips finally show up for finally assembly.

Comment

The trucks will still be under full warranty and likely discounted considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              The trucks will still be under full warranty and likely discounted considerably.
              This is what I was thinking. May get a better deal when all of these flood the market at a year old. Still have full factory warranty. No risk to me , it seems. If there are any issues they will arise before the warrant y I would think.

Comment

Bring on the hail. I cant see all the stalled products being sheltered. I dont mind driving a discounted truck with dimples...street queens aint my style anyhow.

Hopefully this will cause American truck companies to invest more in US chip manufacturing...and the whole supply chain there in.

Comment

I'd hate to be the guy who pays $10,000 or $20,000 above sticker to get one now.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bailouts a coming....

Comment

HP Tuners seems to have plenty of unlocked ECM's still in stock. Buy one, slap it in and go.

Comment

I wouldn’t think there will be many issues with them sitting?? No difference than the vehicles sitting on the lot for a year before they sell...

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Bailouts a coming....
                          I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I've seen lots filling back up again. Ford AutoNation Katy was almost empty two Mondays ago, went there today and it was 1/3 full again. Same with the Mac haik down the road.

They may be redirecting some of these trucks to the larger markets, but it appears trucks are already filling back up.

Also, these trucks sitting in huge parking lots waiting on chips won't magically become a 2022 because that's when the chip got put in it. The vin numbers are already on them. As others said, the warranty will still be there, so I wouldn't worry about buying one personally. That said, I'm holding out 10 more years until the 3/4 tons have a hybrid setup and make tons more power.

Comment

Working...
                            X