Bass lake questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass lake questions

So, as usual, my dad had a lake enlarged. But didnt rid it if all the fish. He called a fishery and they told him he needed to buy the same sized fish as we knew were in there, or the existing fish would eat them. Issue is, a 3lb bass cost $75 each.

He asked about poisoning them. They said they could do it but the issue was the poison will also kill cattle, so that is a no go.

So here are my questions.

1. Do people still use roatnone (sp) to take the oxygen out of water, and is it safe for cattle?

2. Will 3lb. Bass eat 1lb bass?

3. Any other known options? They indicated that shocking them with electricity wouldn't be very effective.

Fyi, pond is now about 4 acres with water flowing into and out of it. Probably somewhere between 10-14 feet deep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    So, as usual, my dad had a lake enlarged. But didnt rid it if all the fish. He called a fishery and they told him he needed to buy the same sized fish as we knew were in there, or the existing fish would eat them. Issue is, a 3lb bass cost $75 each.

He asked about poisoning them. They said they could do it but the issue was the poison will also kill cattle, so that is a no go.

So here are my questions.

1. Do people still use roatnone (sp) to take the oxygen out of water, and is it safe for cattle?

2. Will 3lb. Bass eat 1lb bass?

3. Any other known options? They indicated that shocking them with electricity wouldn't be very effective.

Fyi, pond is now about 4 acres with water flowing into and out of it. Probably somewhere between 10-14 feet deep.

the big fish will eat the smaller fish in the pond regardless if they "grew" up in the pond or were introduced,,, it is what big fish do.... now a large influx of small fish will likely lead to losing many of them,,, but if you put nothing in the big fish will not go hungry either,, .

if you can close off part of the pond with nets or fencing to keep the bigger ones out and place cover for the smaller fish in that area , the probability of the "introduced fish" surviving longer and getting some size goes up,,

Comment

Why are we trying to rid it of all the fish? Why aren't we just feeding the current fish and letting them grow?

Maybe I'm not following as I've never enlarged a pond.

Comment

Get on here...

Own or building a private pond/lake? Want bigger fish? Got Aquatic Plants or moss? Pond Boss magazine, website & forum have answers. We are land and pond management.

I would think as long as you stocked some minnows at the same time it would help the survival rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put in a bunch of shiners and perch. Lots of natural hatch bass survive with bigger bass around.

Comment

Yes people still use rotenone and its safe for cattle. What is he trying to accomplish with the lake?

Unless he is just wanting new bass genetics I see no need to stock additional bass. Bass are absolutely prolific. The spawn is coming up here in a few weeks and he will have thousands of new fry to populate the additional acreage. Yes most will be eaten but there will be plenty left over for the additional acreage.

If I were him I would enjoy the low numbers of bass right now....this lets them grow bigger faster. In two years he will be wanting to remove mouths if its anything like my lake.

Comment

Add me to the list of not understanding what he is trying to accomplish? What is the objective and how does the current population of bass impede that objective

Comment

I think his main goal is to increase the population and have some big f1 genetics. So a 3 pound bass will eat 1 pounders?

Would he be best off to just buy a few 3 pound f1's and a bunch of bait? I dont think the lake has much if any cover btw. But he is going to try to add some.

Comment

You won't have too many 3 pounders eating 1 lb bass. Especially if you have enough baitfish.

F1's are already hybrids (Florida x Northern) so its a one shot deal with that generation you stock....the subsequent fish they produce are watered down unlike introducing pure Florida bass.

Comment

I think his main goal is to increase the population and have some big f1 genetics. So a 3 pound bass will eat 1 pounders?

Would he be best off to just buy a few 3 pound f1's and a bunch of bait? I dont think the lake has much if any cover btw. But he is going to try to add some.

A 3lb fish will absolutely eat a 1lb fish. I would add cover a priority. Next would be to determine the amount of bait fish currently in the lake. Stock accordingly if lacking. After you have the items above squared away then you can stock or let nature run its course through spawning. With good cover a forage you will have successful spawns.

Comment

What Charles said. Get cover and the food chain in line to start. Have you caught any bass from this lake? Are they healthy? If it hasn't been managed chances are it is overpopulated with bass already.

Comment

We are not using roatnone. We have been killing as many as we can with rod and reel and will shock the rest out next week.

I’m paying $25 for 2-3 pound pure FL bass.

Also getting coppernose bluegill, fathead minnows and tilapia.

We have built a bunch of FADs. I’ll post some pics.

Comment

One of our designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No. Native genetics will dominate. You have to wipe them out. Your best bet is to wipe out as many as you can and then buy 2-3 pound FL who will eat the remaining natives.

Comment

Why not let mother nature take her course? Stock with bait, and I'll admit I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X