is a 8 always an 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is a 8 always an 8?

Have a buddy that his family is on MLD. Their biologist told them to shoot all the 8's because that's all they'll ever be. Now I guess if there's some monster 8's you let them live? I've never heard this before and it just sounds crazy to me. Anyone have anything to back this up or de-bunk his theory?

He would be incorrect.

Comment

Get a new biologist

Comment

Had to have been taken out of context or some miss understanding .

Comment

negative

Comment

Main frame 8, slick 8, at 4.5. Killed at 8.5 and still main frame 8 with multiple kickers
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ohio13.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	24640399

Comment

Dang! That's a monster

Comment

Very false, one of our big 8s turned into a 10 this year at 6.5 years old

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve personally seen it happen to 2 different bucks on 2 different ranches. Both were clean 8s as 5 year olds. At 6 they had g4s.
                  Last edited by Aggiehunter08; 01-06-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Occasionally but definitely not always. Probably misunderstood or maybe he has better potential on his place like young 10’s and 12’s. I would think shoot all 8’s might pertain to an age class they’ve reached as well. Like all 5 yr old 8’s

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      Have a buddy that his family is on MLD. Their biologist told them to shoot all the 8's because that's all they'll ever be. Now I guess if there's some monster 8's you let them live? I've never heard this before and it just sounds crazy to me. Anyone have anything to back this up or de-bunk his theory?
                      Yeah not so much. I have seen 4 points go to 6 points go to 8 points go to 10 points. I have had bucks go from 8 points to 10 points and I have had 8 points just be bigger 8's too. So I say thats a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
                        Had to have been taken out of context or some miss understanding .
                        This

Comment

Nope and even on mature deer you have to be careful on 8s after a bad rain year. You may have 10s that went down that will rebound

Comment

Deer can change so much over the years, we try to let all of them mature and then decide culls from trophies

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounds like a "cull narrative" being implemented.

Comment

Working...
                              X