X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started trapping pigs and keeping log

This is what I've got so far.
    Too much detail or not enough?

What am I tracking? Don't know enough about trapping pigs to know what I may or may not want to or need to track.
    Initial thought was maybe a potential future side gig and I might need to know things to help figure other things out and be proficient and efficient.
    Sounds gibberish I know.
    Here's the initial rabbit hole.
    I have 2 traps, and 4 people need pigs trapped.
    On avg it takes X # of days to trap Y # of pigs. So in theory I put out a trap on 2 spots today in 3 days I could reasonably hope to catch X # of pigs.
    So with this info I'm trying to collect I could say the guy #3. I've got 2 traps out and am hoping to catch X # of pigs. It should take Y # of days. So on this date I'll move the traps to your property.
    I understand there's things like population density, preferred food, pigs being trap smart, trap being set outside of normal travel routes to and from pigs preferred areas, etc etc etc. I'm positive the list of variables is long, extensive and diverse with regional variations.

As to why keep a log?
    I'm bored this weekend. I'm keep my mind from running up the tree after that black sasquatch [emoji6].

I honestly enjoy little projects like this.

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    This is what I've got so far.
    Too much detail or not enough?

What am I tracking? Don't know enough about trapping pigs to know what I may or may not want to or need to track.
    Initial thought was maybe a potential future side gig and I might need to know things to help figure other things out and be proficient and efficient.
    Sounds gibberish I know.
    Here's the initial rabbit hole.
    I have 2 traps, and 4 people need pigs trapped.
    On avg it takes X # of days to trap Y # of pigs. So in theory I put out a trap on 2 spots today in 3 days I could reasonably hope to catch X # of pigs.
    So with this info I'm trying to collect I could say the guy #3. I've got 2 traps out and am hoping to catch X # of pigs. It should take Y # of days. So on this date I'll move the traps to your property.
    I understand there's things like population density, preferred food, pigs being trap smart, trap being set outside of normal travel routes to and from pigs preferred areas, etc etc etc. I'm positive the list of variables is long, extensive and diverse with regional variations.

As to why keep a log?
    I'm bored this weekend. I'm keep my mind from running up the tree after that black sasquatch [emoji6].

I honestly enjoy little projects like this.
    Interesting. It looks like you are checking in evenings. I think you are better off checking the traps in the late mornings as it wont take long for the trapped animals to succumb to this heat and it would be terrible to lose a trapped deer. Also, by checking your traps in the evenings you run the risk of spooking hogs coming into the areas of your traps. Good luck with it and keep us posted

Comment

Wire door open and throw feed in trap every couple days. I like a feeder over a trap with door wire open- After they get to using trap free the door. Rinse - repeat

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        Interesting. It looks like you are checking in evenings. I think you are better off checking the traps in the late mornings as it wont take long for the trapped animals to succumb to this heat and it would be terrible to lose a trapped deer. Also, by checking your traps in the evenings you run the risk of spooking hogs coming into the areas of your traps. Good luck with it and keep us posted
        I've though about this.
        My thoughts been If I check it the am than I might not have time to harvest any meat...

Comment

May I ask, are you a pilot?

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
            May I ask, are you a pilot?
            No sir I'm not

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              No sir I'm not
              Your mention of an airport & your detailed approach to trapping reminds me of a Navy pilot I used to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                Your mention of an airport & your detailed approach to trapping reminds me of a Navy pilot I used to work with.
                I'm a former Marine NCO. Trying a paired down BAMCIS & 5 paragraph order.

I've got a detailed oriented brain It's a blessing and a curse, mostly a curse.

I have 2 buddies with planes there, that's how I got permission to hunt there. I personally don't think the surrounding area is conducive to rifle hunting. It's doable but the safety margins not big enough for my liking.

1 of them hunts with me every now again. I also would like detailed records for the airport owner of they ever ask.

Comment

Working...
                X