Plumbing issue in cabin (pex)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing issue in cabin (pex)

I've got a 16x20 cabin on my place in the woods. Runs off well water. I shut everything down before the big freeze. Drained small water heater, drained pipes, shut off well breaker, shut off pipes, etc.

After the freeze, turned everything back on. No leaks. I guess since water heater was empty, shower was sputtering and spitting. Eventually started flowing correctly.

But the small sink in the bathroom next to the shower has no water. After the freeze I thought I heard some air coming out and was waiting for water to start flowing. No bueno. Checked shutoff valves under the sink. I never turned them off.

Plumbing is pex. There aren't any leaks under the cabin so I don't think I have a breakage/leak in the short 5' run between shower and sink.

Problem is, entire bathroom is walled in with plywood and I can't get to anything. Not that I would know what to do if I could. I feel like this is type of air blockage/vent issue. But can't figure out.

Here's a few posts with some basic pics of the setup:

Pex runs from Water heater to shower/toilet/sink. I don't have any pics of all the plumbing before I skinned the frame.

Thanks for any ideas.

No clue but check the faucet screen. Just a WAG!

Comment

Do you think there's some gunk stopping up the cartridge? Pull the supply line off of the faucet and see if water comes out. Don't forget to turn the supply off before unhooking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
        Do you think there's some gunk stopping up the cartridge? Pull the supply line off of the faucet and see if water comes out. Don't forget to turn the supply off before unhooking it.
        The would be my first move.

Comment

If it's all plumbed together and everything else works I'm not sure why the sink wouldn't.
          Have you tried disconnecting the lines under the sink?
          There's 2 right, hot and cold, and neither works?
          Possibly the freeze destroyed the valves in the sink faucet?
          I would think water would be leaking from somewhere...
          Screens on the faucet head aren't somehow blocked are they?
          Personally it sounds like we're missing something easy here .
          In all my years I've never vapor locked a sink .

Comment

Check the areator for blockage.

Comment

Have you disconneted the lines at the shut off valves to see if the watr is getting that far? If theres water there then it could be a faucet problem as doghouse suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                No clue but check the faucet screen. Just a WAG!
                I reckon I can check it. But why would it go from perfect flow to not even a drip?

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
                I'll try this next trip up there. Didn't have time saturday.

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                If it's all plumbed together and everything else works I'm not sure why the sink wouldn't.
                Have you tried disconnecting the lines under the sink? Not yet.
                There's 2 right, hot and cold, and neither works? Yes...and nope.
                Possibly the freeze destroyed the valves in the sink faucet? Cabin is insulated very good...but I guess it was possible with the single digit temps.
                But from my past experience (see reference to "Minchew Luck" below), destroyed faucet equals leaks/spraying

I would think water would be leaking from somewhere...that was the first thing I checked.
                Screens on the faucet head aren't somehow blocked are they? I doubt it...but will check.
                Personally it sounds like we're missing something easy here .
                In all my years I've never vapor locked a sink . You haven't heard of "Minchew Luck". It has followed me for decades. I'm the only guy in history that caught colon cancer from bowfishing
                Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                Check the areator for blockage.
                WTH is that?

Comment

Originally posted by trailrider View Post
                  Have you disconneted the lines at the shut off valves to see if the watr is getting that far? If theres water there then it could be a faucet problem as doghouse suggested.
                  I'm going to go out on a limb and say water is getting to the faucet. But I'll let y'all know in a week or so when I get back up there.

Comment

Look ant angle stops also could be clogged up with sand also check aerator if none of those work check supply lines for clogged

Comment

My kitchen sink at the camp and FILs house did the same thing after the freeze. Changing the faucets out fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
                        Look ant angle stops also could be clogged up with sand also check aerator if none of those work check supply lines for clogged
                        Not sure what an aerator is in this system. Can't check the lines without ripping out shower and plywood walls. Hoping it's something else I'm not thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                          My kitchen sink at the camp and FILs house did the same thing after the freeze. Changing the faucets out fixed it.
                          Now we're talking. I'll check supply lines and then faucet.

Comment

Aerator is the little screen on the end of the fixture should be able to unscrew it and I have seen the so plugged up that they will let no water out

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Not sure what an aerator is in this system. Can't check the lines without ripping out shower and plywood walls. Hoping it's something else I'm not thinking of.
                              It’s on the end of the faucet, last thing the water touches before it hits the sink. Just unscrew the little screen on the faucet tip. That may have scale or sand built up in it and clogging the faucet outlet. Which would explain why both hot and cold do not work.

Go look at the one on your faucet at home so you understand what we’re talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X