No announcement yet.

Drift trike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope to have the tire set on the bead tonight. The boy and I have tried to compress them with straps, inflate/deflate, soapy water, nada. Still cannot get one side to finish setting. Got a go kart shop that will help us out, so we’ll tuck our tails and go there this evening.

Big progress on one thing though. The dang sleeves. I was stressing out about the sleeves, because the place I ordered them and the wheeels/tires from said to get 6x7.25 wheels, 11x6x6 tires, and 10” sleeves. I asked, are you sure 10” sleeves will fit on 11” tires? They said yes, that’s why you go with wider rims, to pull the sidewall down a bit. Well, I’ll tell you, we couldn’t get them on for nuthin. I was stressed, because if the shop had made an error, it meant expensive shipping, reordering, returns, and delays. I called em back yesterday after spending the past two nights fighting with the tire beads and trying to figure out how these sleeves were magically going to fit, and they confirmed that 10” sleeves are what they use for 11” and 12” tires. Well, at least there isn’t an error, so this is now a knowledge, skill, or tool issue. Those I can handle.

So, it turns out the magic bullet is a hammer! Lol. The boy and I soaked the tires and inside wall of the sleeves with winded and start smacking them with a hammer. Slid right on. Perfect! Took us 20 mins to get it off, but we’re over that hump. Once the beads are set, we’ll have the axle done and the frame ready for the front end. Goal is to have a rolling chassis by the end of the weekend.

Just for future reference, if you had built one of these before (I.e., experience) and already had all the parts, you could easily build one of these start to finish inside of a weekend. We’re just slow because we have no idea what we’re doing and have other hobbies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Drift trike build

Progress!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by txpitdog; 02-26-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Ok I give up. Tapatalk is a pile of crap, and Safari likes stuff sideways. Whatever

Comment

Both are on. Windex and a hammer. No sweat. Tomorrow we’ll get the axle set and then we’ll be ready to cut the bike and weld the front end on.
          Attached Files

Comment

I am thoroughly confused

Why are you putting the sleeves on an engine powered drift trike?

I thought that was for pedal powered version?

Looks like they would get eat off of the tires in one session?

Been following this and hoping to see some test runs soon

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              I am thoroughly confused

Why are you putting the sleeves on an engine powered drift trike?

I thought that was for pedal powered version?

Looks like they would get eat off of the tires in one session?

Been following this and hoping to see some test runs soon

First, it’s a live axle, so it won’t turn unless one of the wheels loses traction. Second, once it gets going, it runs like a go kart. It only loses traction when you slide around a turn or when you throw your weight side to side to side. ...or that’s how it’s supposed to work!

Comment

I've been wanting to build one. Is 52, too old to want one.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  First, it’s a live axle, so it won’t turn unless one of the wheels loses traction. Second, once it gets going, it runs like a go kart. It only loses traction when you slide around a turn or when you throw your weight side to side to side. ...or that’s how it’s supposed to work!

Makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    I've been wanting to build one. Is 52, too old to want one.

I don’t think so, because I’m 51 and wanting to build one also!! I’m wanting a bigger motor. I’m not a little guy either.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                      I don’t think so, because I’m 51 and wanting to build one also!! I’m wanting a bigger motor. I’m not a little guy either.

One fun thing you can do with the Predator 212cc is hop it up. Lots of aftermarket parts for it that aren’t as available for the larger Predator engines. There are tons of videos for removing the governor, Stage 1 and 2 kits, and one YouTube channel has a video on putting a small turbo on theirs.

We’re going to test ours out all stock first then decide whether to do a Stage 1 kit. With a 54 tooth gear, I think the best we’ll get top end is 18mph, but it should work pretty good for breaking the back end loose. I think with a Stage 1 we could do a 44 or 46 tooth gear, go faster, and still have enough low end power to drift.

It would be fun to build a trike for top end though!

Comment

search youtube for widowmaker drift trike, turn volume down because they drop several F bombs

I think the tires stayed "broke loose" constantly

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          search youtube for widowmaker drift trike, turn volume down because they drop several F bombs

I think the tires stayed "broke loose" constantly

Dang after watching that I feel like ours sucks, lol. That thing is crazy! The kart place in New Caney that helped us with our tire beads has the shifter karts that do 70+mph. It was pretty cool watching a few folks run them on the track.

Comment

Booyah! Finally. Man, talk about learning as you go. We learned where the collars go after a piece of key stock on the hub slipped out. Re-did a couple things. Then, do I have a 1.25” socket? No I do not, so improvise with channel-loks and a crouch that surely took years off my knees. But it’s set, the axle is done, and we’re looking at a 2 mean inches of ground clearance. Little more than 1 in on the main gear, so we’ll have to be careful with the chain tightness. I may fab up a chain guard. We’ll see.

Tomorrow we’re cutting the bike. The plasma cutter will be perfect for this job. Hope to have the front end welded by the end of the day and a quick vid of its first roll down the driveway. Then we’ll tackle the engine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cool build.

Are those vertical plates that hold the axel bearing going to stay put?
                              Seems to me they might need some help.

Comment

Man this is awesome. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                                X