Freezing shad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing shad?

Has anyone froze shad to save for a later fishing trip?
    Any prep before throwing them in the freezer? I'm at a friends place on cedar creek lake and I can catch shad almost every toss of the net.

I was wanting to freeze bluegill wondering if flathead would bite previously frozen bluegill.

Comment

I freeze them every year to use for the flounder run.. i prefer them 2.5 to 3 inches long .. I freeze them in water.. they are pretty soft so I just hook them however I can get them to stay on the hook.

Comment

If you’ll vacuum seal em they will do better but they will still be mushy. This is especially true for the threadfin shad, the little ones used fur catfish bait.

Comment

I’ve never froze any but I have salted a bunch.

Comment

I catch and freeze bluegill to use as cut bait on trot lines all the time.

Comment

Ive heard freezing them in salt works great. Keeps them from getting mushy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

they say freezing them in cheap vodka works but haven't tried it yet

Comment

My family has done it for decades. Just sprinkle a little salt over them before sealing your bag. They last a long time and are pretty tough when you take them out.

Comment

Freeze them in sawdust

Comment

I have vacuum sealed, and frozen them for later with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        My family has done it for decades. Just sprinkle a little salt over them before sealing your bag. They last a long time and are pretty tough when you take them out.
                        Theres actually a guy that does just this and sells it. I think it's called super salty squid i think or something similar. Stuff is tough as a boot.

edit: https://www.heyskipperfishing.com/pr...tacles-2-pack/

Comment

I freeze a few every year. Sometimes I add a little salt but most of the time just in a zip lock.

Comment

Originally posted by belly_up View Post
                            they say freezing them in cheap vodka works but haven't tried it yet
                            I heard this also. I substituted 50% rubbing alcohol for the vodka and it worked great. The alcohol gets thicker in the freezer but does not freeze. The shad do not get mushy.

Comment

Vacuum seal mine, they don’t mush up thawed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X