Advice to first-time gun buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is an open-ended question but I'm interested in y'alls thoughts on firearms for first-time buyers?

Just this week, I've had two people that I know well ask me "what gun should I buy" and I really don't know what to tell them.

They have posed this questions to others (friends/gun stores)and the responses they have received are overwhelming and leaving them more confused.

My question back to them was, "What do you think you need it for and in what situations do you think you would use it."

Neither had put much thought into those questions...

I offered to take them to the range but encouraged both to put some thought into the Why/When/How questions before they made any decisions.

That being said...my recommendation would likely be a Ruger 10/22 or something along those lines.

10/22 is kinda difficult for concealed carry lol.
    If they have no clue why they need or even want a gun, I would tell them not to even buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      10/22 is kinda difficult for concealed carry lol.
      If they have no clue why they need or even want a gun, I would tell them not to even buy one.

That’s a bad response. This is America. People should have whatever guns they want that they can legally own. Regardless of necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should have been more specific. This is for home-defense and neither person, or anyone in their families, have ever owned or shot a firearm.

Comment

I think a 10/22 is perfect for starters. Cheap to shoot, ease of use, accessories for days.. and if needed, can be used to hunt, or enough rounds of 22 to the chest will deter anyone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            That’s a bad response. This is America. People should have whatever guns they want that they can legally own. Regardless of necessity.

You totally missed my point .
            I agree with what you said 100%, but that's not the point.
            In your case, tell them a 577 NitroE is what I would recommend.....
            Great for plinking, all the way up to a T-Rex.
            If they want to conceal carry it, just shave about 20" off the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
              Should have been more specific. This is for home-defense and neither person, or anyone in their families, have ever owned or shot a firearm.
              Now we're getting somewhere.
              I would not recommend a 10/22 for home defense.
              A tactical 20 gauge is what I would recommend.

Comment

Ask them “why?”. The reply will determine the type and caliber. Those who shoot can debate long rifle vs. handgun, semi auto pistol vs. revolver.

KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. I assume it’s for self defense. I’d tell them your favorite semi auto in 9mm and mandatory shooting lessons from an instructor.

Better they have a good weapon than be caught-up figuring out the best.

I told a co-worker 10 years ago who asked what shotgun to buy for home defense a Mossberg 500 with 2 barrels, one a 16” slugger. He wanted a shotgun. He just emailed me from Tennessee saying a friend wanted a recimmendation on a shotgun for home defense. I told him Mossberg 500.

Don’t overthink it when people need help.

IMHO.

Comment

You totally missed my point .
                  I agree with what you said 100%, but that's not the point.
                  In your case, tell them a 577 NitroE is what I would recommend.....
                  Great for plinking, all the way up to a T-Rex.
                  If they want to conceal carry it, just shave about 20" off the barrel.

Hey, everybody needs one or two of those. Never know when a burglar might be hiding behind a fridge two houses down.

Comment

Now we're getting somewhere.
                    Definitely agree with the tactical shot gun for home defense with buck shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                      Hey, everybody needs one or two of those. Never know when a burglar might be hiding behind a fridge two houses down.

I know right ..

Comment

I don’t think there’s a correct blanket answer. Case by case basis. Shotgun and or some form of handgun would likely be my answer to most. Pump shotgun and a revolver that’s double single is an extremely fail proof combo. But some people never cease to amaze me on what they can screw up lol

Comment

While a pump shotgun 20 or 12 would be a more effective option, Based on only the short description provided I would be very inclined to recommend a double action 38 special revolver.

You put a bullet in and pull the trigger. They probably can’t hit anything but they probably won’t need it either.

Comment

I agree with the above about 90% based on experience with my family.

Now that my son's have moved out it is just me, my wife and two teenage daughters. My wife and girls like to shoot but they want nothing to do with any shotgun or handgun bigger than a 38spcl in a medium-frame revolver. They are okay with 9mm in a full size pistol but they would struggle to deal with a malfunction.

All three however "like" shooting our 10/22's and have enough experience with them to pick them up and and least know how to operate them.

Their "go to" guns if I am not around are a pair of 10/22's with 25 rounds of min-mags.

Not what I would prefer but given the reality of what they are willing to learn it is our best option.

Comment

And thanks for responses.

I'm not advocating a 22Lr as a primary gun but in some cases I do think it is an option and a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X