night vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

night vision

I'm wanting to buy a good-excellent low tech night vision scope. Don't want to have to learn how to work electric gizmos. A basic point and shoot night vision scope that will not break the bank. $1-$2500 price range. Peace

Night vision or thermal? What’s your intended use? Pigs and stuff? Distance?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      All important questions. Assuming you truly mean night vision and not thermal I would highly recommend the Sightmark Wraith. I had one and loved it. The only reason I don't currently have one is I'm waiting for the new 4K (on the order list with Sightmark). I wouldn't call it point and shoot but in my opinion it is very easy to use and REALLY easy to sight in. The biggest things on the Wraith are price ($500-$800 depending on model) and combination of day time and night time features. Day time is full color like you are watching a little tv with cross hairs. There are a few that may be debatable as slightly better at night (like the Photon) but the Wraith is dang good at night and blows the others away during the day for all around use. Across the message boards it is widely regarded as the best bang for the buck.

I would get in touch with Jason (outdoorlegacy on here) with specific questions. He is as knowledgeable as they come.

Comment

You might be able to find a decent PVS-14 for $2500
        I prefer thermals for hunting, but they are pricey for decent resolution

Comment

I don't know

Need to shoot dogs that are killing my FIL kid goats. Maybe pig or polar bears if they get to be a problem.
          Distance 200+- yard?
          Thermal or night vision? I don't know please give the some pros & cons of each. A no brainier device would work best for me.
          Peace.
          PS: These are pack dogs not coyotes killing everything in the area. If they are a family pet & they are doing this I can careless.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
            You might be able to find a decent PVS-14 for $2500
            I prefer thermals for hunting, but they are pricey for decent resolution
            You can find them for half that these days used.

OP. Thermal is usually the ticket but you have to learn to work them. Night vision is just a visual aid but you still need something to pair it with. I’d heavily lean towards a thermal for your use.

There are several others that know far more than me about what to recommend. All I can say is the cheap ones aren’t too bueno in my experience. $2500 should get you a decent unit.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
              All important questions. Assuming you truly mean night vision and not thermal I would highly recommend the Sightmark Wraith. I had one and loved it. The only reason I don't currently have one is I'm waiting for the new 4K (on the order list with Sightmark). I wouldn't call it point and shoot but in my opinion it is very easy to use and REALLY easy to sight in. The biggest things on the Wraith are price ($500-$800 depending on model) and combination of day time and night time features. Day time is full color like you are watching a little tv with cross hairs. There are a few that may be debatable as slightly better at night (like the Photon) but the Wraith is dang good at night and blows the others away during the day for all around use. Across the message boards it is widely regarded as the best bang for the buck.

I would get in touch with Jason (outdoorlegacy on here) with specific questions. He is as knowledgeable as they come.
              Forgot about the day/ night issue. This is semi important but I could/would dedicate one rifle just for night/ thermal vision. These dogs have kill 15 kid goats now and they need to be delt with. Peace

Comment

You can find them for half that these days used.
                Was this pre-Chinese flu? I’ve been in the market a couple weeks now and can’t find a decent Gen 3 for sub $2000, much less $1250.

Comment

Was this pre-Chinese flu? I’ve been in the market a couple weeks now and can’t find a decent Gen 3 for sub $2000, much less $1250.
                  Yeah. I forgot that crap as the used market inflated.

Another reason to go thermal LOL

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                    Forgot about the day/ night issue. This is semi important but I could/would dedicate one rifle just for night/ thermal vision. These dogs have kill 15 kid goats now and they need to be delt with. Peace
                    Sounds good I'll check that out. Also will contact Jason
                    Peace

Comment

Great!

Ain't that lovely?

Comment

Yeah, prices are insane right now.

OP, maybe look into the Pulsar Core RXQ30V or Hogster-R

Comment

I would go with the wraith and pair it with either our 66LRX IR 850nm Light or our Coyote Cannon IR 850nm light. The stock IR light that comes with the Wraith is only good to about 200 yards. With our 66LRX you will be able to identify at 400-600 yards and with our Coyote Cannon you will be able to identify 700-1000 yards. Jason at Outdoor Legacy sells both. I have yet to see a thermal scope that you can identify a animal as far as you can with the Wraith paired with our Coyote Cannon. Sure you can see heat signatures but actually identifying 700+ yards with thermal I haven't seen. With our Wraith paired with the Coyote cannon, I can tell the difference between a pig or deer at 800 yards in the right conditions.

Comment

$2500 ought to get you a Wraith and if you look hard enough a Flir Breach for a scanner. The Breach kinda sucks, but it’ll detect any animals in the area far better than NV will. Scan with the Breach until you pick up and animal, then it’s time for NV to do work.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              $2500 ought to get you a Wraith and if you look hard enough a Flir Breach for a scanner. The Breach kinda sucks, but it’ll detect any animals in the area far better than NV will. Scan with the Breach until you pick up and animal, then it’s time for NV to do work.
                              $2000 will get a Wraith and a Pulsar Axion Key. Everything I have heard about the Keys has been good. It looks like Jason has both in stock. That is the combo I hope to ultimately be running.

Comment

Working...
                              X