concrete pad dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

concrete pad dirt

Ok concrete guys. when I had my pool built last summer, I saved the dirt from the dig. I had them pile the dirt in the area that I would eventually build my shop. Well the shop project was put on hold a little longer than I expected and grass and weeds have started taking over the piles. Can this dirt still be used to build the pad?

Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
      Sure.
      thanks

Comment

Did the dirt have grass on it before you dug it up?

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
          Did the dirt have grass on it before you dug it up?
          yes it did. I know it was probably a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure as I am not a concrete guy. If I need to get different dirt I was going to have one of the dump trucks running my neighborhood right now, grab it

Comment

What type of dirt? Was it compacted when it was relocated or just knocked down?

Comment

It should work as fill dirt but would need a sand cushion on top 2-4" of sand. Lot of variables, type of dirt it is, size of shop, how much dirt work need to be done, ect..

Comment

If you are starting right away scrape the grass off and add fill. If you have a few months go to tractor supply and buy some generic glysophate and spray it.. you can get 2 gallons for 45 bucks or so.. you want as much of the grass and root out of the pad as possible because it will rot and cause problems later.

Comment

best is to make sure there are no or as little organics as possible. Would spray it and kill everything off, then you have peace of mind.

Comment

dirt should be fine to use. I would try to clean it up some like JDS247 said.
                    id also try to compact it once you have it where you want it. hose it down then drive on it or you can rent "jumping jacks" or plate compactors ("turtles") to tamp that loose material down if you plan to use a 2" sand bed.

id reinforce the concrete slab also, welded wire mesh is easy. roll it out and suspend it on bricks, rocks anything hard that will keep the wire in approx. the middle of the slab.

Comment

the dirt is in piles. no pad built yet. shop will be 30x50. its red so I'm guessing there is a lot of clay in it.

Comment

With clay it really depends on your foundation design. I would definitely recommend compacting or better yet bring in a true fill material.

Comment

Working...
                        X