Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate is an AK at 300 yds for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ak - not so much
    Sks - we have owned 8 or 10 of them and they would all shoot about 1.5 inch groups at a hundred yards with cheap wolf junk.

The key to SKS accuracy is how you mount the scope

Comment

I used to work with a guy who swore he could put an entire "clip" from his Century Arms AK inside a grapefruit at 100 yards with open sights.

Not saying he was lying, just can't confirm the truthfulness of the claim!
      Last edited by Jason; 07-02-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Ar platform 6.5 grendel

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          I do not blame you Gerhard. I just looked up Dullstroom SA. It appears you live in what was formerly known as Rhodesia. Am I correct?
          Will an AK be enough? I am thinking something belt-fed and a BIG dog

OP...the accurate version of the AK platform is the Dragunov. It also is in a 7.62 caliber, but by 54(7.62x54R) and it is a rimmed cartridge with a lot of punch.
          The AK is a reliable go bang weapon with a good mid range cartridge. If you want MOA groups from the 7.62x39. Go to a bolt gun.
          Rhodesia=Zimbabwe.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
            Ak - not so much
            Sks - we have owned 8 or 10 of them and they would all shoot about 1.5 inch groups at a hundred yards with cheap wolf junk.

The key to SKS accuracy is how you mount the scope

Are there more than one way to mount the scope?

Rick

Comment

SCAR-17 is a better option than any AR-10 if you got the scratch...good ole AR-15 in 5.56 is all you need for a close range battle gun

Comment

A high quality AK shooting high quality 7.62x39 will outshoot an average quality AR shooting cheap 6.5 Grendel, every single day. Neither one is my favorite hunting platform, but the bandwagon effect is thick on this one.

Comment

Op I know you were stating you would like to hit at 300 yds with an AK and it’s very doable. I can slap an entire mag from any of these rifles standing and hit a chest sized plate at 200yds consistently (longest my range has to offer). With my chinese sks that I have never personally sighted in (I purchased it sealed in a bag of cosmoline for $300!!!) I can hit a head sized plate at 200 yds consistently the sks is definitely a tack driver. All shooting irons with Academy’s Monarch 7.62 or tulAmmo 7.62 bottom of the barrel stuff steel casings. Btw the bottom three rifles I’ve built out of surplus parts kits.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by K_Wittenburg View Post
                    Op I know you were stating you would like to hit at 300 yds with an AK and it’s very doable. I can slap an entire mag from any of these rifles standing and hit a chest sized plate at 200yds consistently (longest my range has to offer). With my chinese sks that I have never personally sighted in (I purchased it sealed in a bag of cosmoline for $300!!!) I can hit a head sized plate at 200 yds consistently the sks is definitely a tack driver. All shooting irons with Academy’s Monarch 7.62 or tulAmmo 7.62 bottom of the barrel stuff steel casings. Btw the bottom three rifles I’ve built out of surplus parts kits.
                    You my friend are a good shot or a very luck shot. 30 rounds in a hot AK barrel is some serious skill. BTW, that ammo is perfect for AK's. Why would shoot anything else.

Comment

Where do you get surplus AK kits?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        YouTube

Pretty good video comparing the AK and AR platforms, both firing 7.62x39. The AR is intrinsically more accurate because of the way it's built.
                        Good video Dave. Thanks!
                        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by thehairlessone! View Post
                          Are there more than one way to mount the scope?

Rick
                          Most sks scope mounts are a rear spring cover replacement.This type with the locking screws is good, without the locking screws the group doubles.
                          My current sks has a mount that bolts direct to the main receiver this is by far the best mount I have seen very sturdy

Comment

Sufficiently accurate if you’re hunting semi-trucks, hay barns, grain silos or other similar quarry[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get best of both worlds CMMG MK47 you'll love it, I love mine!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                                Ar platform 6.5 grendel
                                What he said , 300 blackout or 308. I would go with 308 or 6.5 on AR platform and a good scope. Awesome round and can shoot accurately far past 300yrds. A buddy shot a elk at 1200 meters. Dropped dead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X