Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My property being farmed without permission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously take pics which I think you have.

Go talk to your county USDA-Farm Services Agency. They should know most of the farmers in your area and know who certifies grazing, hay, etc. on that land for insurance and drought funding options. He may claim some of your area for this and get paid for your grass so you need to straighten that stuff out as well.

Be good to get a relationship with those folks any way.

Comment

My property being farmed without permission.

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
      without a fence, its sorta, well it does looks like one field. it still COULD be just an honest mistake.

got any pics while the sunflower was growing? that could have made it more obvious, but acting like does this all the time is not a good mindset. get it straightened out, but try to calm down. depending on what work he did, it might have improved your ground.

That’s the way I was leaning.

It’s a mistake right...
      You hit a t post in field with a white bucket in it when you are spraying.

Hell the “ land owner said all the way was his property( the land owner I just spoke to for an hour says no, the line is marked by post) he can speak English now......

So anyhow knock over a post that marks crop row land.... next time you come out it is upwards and painted purple, you remove it admitting you removed it, then the next time there is a big sign in the place you removed the other t post( general area)

Bail around the sign knowing it was not there when you sprayed, them cultivate, then seeded, then cut it, raked it and bailed around it....

Please tell me he just made a mistake!

Especially knowing he just divided one of his farm lands and used t post to mark the boundaries, while acting surprised at what the cost of a survey is when just had them done...

All things add up to he is bs’ing.

He bailed my place first and hoped to be gone before anyone got his name.

In my mind he rolled
      The dice, and lost.

Then crawfished playing dumb offering me 200 bucks while still asking to get “ his” hay off my I place.

So glade the cattle guy is more than happy to run his hot wire fence back there and let his cows have at the hay.

As well as be a witness.

That’s a good neighbor.

The other guy is a thief, and lier. Known around here for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dirtymike; 06-16-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I may be the minority here but I don't feel like its a big deal, stuff happens, if they were old flowers and it was a new lessee he may of just kept on rolling. I deal with landowners and tenants on a daily basis, a farmer may have 100 different farms and 30 landowners, it gets confusing. Build a fence it will fix the problem. Again I understand your frustration but I don't know if it is worth all of the fuss. You should have a weed free grass bed for deer season? If you aren't using the block and you can get over the initial confrontation talk to him about cutting it until you do something with it. It'll give you a write off and keep your place looking nice!

Comment

Ironically I had something very similar happen at some of our family property last year. We own about 300 acres in this one particular area, but its in a 270 acre and 30 acre portion that are split by a 100 acre patch of woods owned by a family trust from a family that doesn't live in the area. This property of ours doesn't get much attention compared to our other stuff. Well I decided I wanted to set a game cam and stand on it last summer because it is just across the neighboring county line and would give me another option come deer season. I went out there and someone had driven a tractor down the 270 acre portion rutting it so bad I couldn't get down it with my buggy. So I decided I'd go to the 30 acre portion which is bout 15 acres woods and 15 acres "pasture". When I get there, someone has locked past our lock, so I hop the fence and start walking down the road and notice the pasture has been planted in millet.

To me that's a pleasant surprise as I now have somewhere to try and shoot some dove come season. As I'm walking out a guy pulls up and asks who I am, I introduce myself and he tells me that his boss has the place leased. That's news to me, but we have quite a bit of property spreadout across a few counties, so it isn't unlikely. I get the farmers number from the guy and let him know I'm going to give him a shout. I call the farmer and make small talk, he tells me feel free to come out and shoot dove, although he can't tell me whether I can or can't because it is our family property and we don't lease hunting rights on any of our stuff.

A couple months go by and its the week before dove season opener and I call the farmer to let him know it would be me and another buddy and ask him where we could sit to be out of his or any of his friends way. His attitude since the last time I spoke with him has completely changed and he tells me it's not going to be a good weekend for us to come and it wouldn't be until at least the 3rd week of season. I politely point out the fact that it would just be two of us and we would stay out of the way. He then starts to get angry with me and tells me not to show up.

At this point I call one of my uncles who is the trustee of most of our properties and ask him about this property and the guy who has it leased. That is when it all became clear. No one was currently leasing that property from the family and this guy had just taken it upon himself to start farming it and had gone as far to completely fence off ,with a brand new barbwire fence, all of our pasture land to extend the property that he leased from another neighboring family.

This guy owns a large ag business in the area, so it can be anyone who does these types of things.

Comment

Everybody is harping on the Johnson grass, people do plant it and bale it.

If you don't make a sheriff report the same guy may pull his farming practices on another neighbor.
            I'd meet the farmer on my land and wait for the sheriff to arrive.

Comment

Doesn’t appear to be planted nor hay grazer from the pics.

Sell the hay and have him pay to have the corners staked again. If you want something for doves, disc and dove weed should come up.

Comment

Don't leave us hanging, Gander. What was the resolution?

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                  Ironically I had something very similar happen at some of our family property last year. We own about 300 acres in this one particular area, but its in a 270 acre and 30 acre portion that are split by a 100 acre patch of woods owned by a family trust from a family that doesn't live in the area. This property of ours doesn't get much attention compared to our other stuff. Well I decided I wanted to set a game cam and stand on it last summer because it is just across the neighboring county line and would give me another option come deer season. I went out there and someone had driven a tractor down the 270 acre portion rutting it so bad I couldn't get down it with my buggy. So I decided I'd go to the 30 acre portion which is bout 15 acres woods and 15 acres "pasture". When I get there, someone has locked past our lock, so I hop the fence and start walking down the road and notice the pasture has been planted in millet.

To me that's a pleasant surprise as I now have somewhere to try and shoot some dove come season. As I'm walking out a guy pulls up and asks who I am, I introduce myself and he tells me that his boss has the place leased. That's news to me, but we have quite a bit of property spreadout across a few counties, so it isn't unlikely. I get the farmers number from the guy and let him know I'm going to give him a shout. I call the farmer and make small talk, he tells me feel free to come out and shoot dove, although he can't tell me whether I can or can't because it is our family property and we don't lease hunting rights on any of our stuff.

A couple months go by and its the week before dove season opener and I call the farmer to let him know it would be me and another buddy and ask him where we could sit to be out of his or any of his friends way. His attitude since the last time I spoke with him has completely changed and he tells me it's not going to be a good weekend for us to come and it wouldn't be until at least the 3rd week of season. I politely point out the fact that it would just be two of us and we would stay out of the way. He then starts to get angry with me and tells me not to show up.

At this point I call one of my uncles who is the trustee of most of our properties and ask him about this property and the guy who has it leased. That is when it all became clear. No one was currently leasing that property from the family and this guy had just taken it upon himself to start farming it and had gone as far to completely fence off ,with a brand new barbwire fence, all of our pasture land to extend the property that he leased from another neighboring family.

This guy owns a large ag business in the area, so it can be anyone who does these types of things.
                  Well tell us the rest of the story man!!

Comment

So, what was the outcome? Did you eventually resolve the issue by hunting your family land and telling the farmer to pound sand?

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      Well tell us the rest of the story man!!
                      NO kidden! This one has good potential!

We had a situation years ago about like these. My Dad bought some land and we had it surveyed obviously.

Well with google maps etc we where trying to find out where the middle points where between 2 corners on a line so we could have it cleared. Come to find out the neighbor had cleared several acres on to our side and gets kind of bent with us because we are on "his" land. Once we got all the corner surveyed and started mulching down the lines come to find out he had just missed it by about 150-200yds. But hey nothing like getting some free clearing.

Comment

If someone knows Gander please throat punch him until he tells the rest of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          If someone knows Gander please throat punch him until he tells the rest of the story.
                          Lmao! AC for the win!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphabets View Post
                            So, what was the outcome? Did you eventually resolve the issue by hunting your family land and telling the farmer to pound sand?
                            Yes sorry, I did go out and hunt. Ended up getting in contact with the landowner that he was leasing from too and let him know what was going on. I was an oil and gas landman for about a decade, so I ran the title and mapped out the metes and bounds when he tried to say I was on the wrong property. He was an older guy and because I was early 30s he thought he could bully me out of the picture. I'll be setting game cams on it for this next deer season within the next week.

Comment

Get rid of that t-post and put in a 2 7/8 drill stem in concrete. They won't hit that one but once!

Comment

I read all of these posts / replies. First, this is a land attorney's dream fight. You do not need to re-survey since most surveys use GPS coordinates now. Plus, it is not old enough. Contact Tiffany Lashmet at AgriLife AgLaw Blog for a list of attorneys that can help you with this.

A simple one or 2 strand fence is all you need as an "official no tresspassing" boundary. Look up the publication Fence Law by Tiffany Lashmet.

Yes, the violator needs to return the property to the condition it was in.

And Gander.... wow. Sounds like to me he was trying to set up for an adverse possession claim to take the land. Problem is, he needs to do his will for 10 years without you knowing it. I would love to hear that you got him kicked out and he was not allowed to take down any of the new permanent structure (aka fence) that he put up.

.... this point I call one of my uncles who is the trustee of most of our properties and ask him about this property and the guy who has it leased. That is when it all became clear. No one was currently leasing that property from the family and this guy had just taken it upon himself to start farming it and had gone as far to completely fence off ,with a brand new barbwire fence, all of our pasture land to extend the property that he leased from another neighboring family.

And Gander.... wow. Sounds like to me he was trying to set up for an adverse possession claim to take the land. Problem is, he needs to do his will for 10 years without you knowing it. I would love to hear that you got him kicked out and he was not allowed to take down any of the new permanent structure (aka fence) that he put up.

Comment

Working...
                                X