S.h.n.f. 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
    Do yall know when the white oaks typically start to drop acorns? I’m also curious about the black oaks I found an area with some mature black oaks with good sign but couldn’t see any acorns. Thx
    If they are producing they drop mid Sept to mid Oct. As they taper off the reds (omitting water and pin oaks, which for reds drop early)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
      If you guys have found any White Oaks or Post Oaks producing, I would be highly surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
      No Sir, I haven't found any. In fact I have not seen a ton of acorns in the areas I'm hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
        No Sir, I haven't found any. In fact I have not seen a ton of acorns in the areas I'm hunting.
        I haven't got as many as I usually do. But my reds are still doing really well. Half the crop I hunted was white acorns though so I've no early season spots producing at the moment. I guess they'll heat up in the next week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
          Yessir, I know. From what I've seen and also heard from other people there are very few if any white oaks that produced this year. The water oaks, for example, are just an early dropping red oak.

Just curious to know why this certain years are good and others not so for white oaks producing? Thanks

Comment

who all's hunting this weekend in the sauna?

Comment

I’ll be pushing deer tomorrow . Hope I can help some of y’all out

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                who all's hunting this weekend in the sauna?
                I'll be out this mornin fighting the skeeters with my arrows. Fish pond around what, half past 11 or so?

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                  Just curious to know why this certain years are good and others not so for white oaks producing? Thanks
                  There are a number of factors (these ain't all of em but they're the biggies), like if there's a late frost after pollination of the acorn crop has taken place. Another factor is a crazy dry summer after successful pollination of the crop. That depends on the pollination being successful though. During about a 1 week period in the spring (when pollen is flying everywhere) the oaks partake and during this time pollination is achieved. If it rains during this week of the year, especially more than once or twice, it will prevent pollination and the acorns won't have a chance (that happened this year is my guess, since no white oaks are producing). Now, why then do we have red oaks that produced? The reason we have reds this season is because where white oak acorns mature in the year they were pollinated, most if not all red oaks take two seasons to mature. So, the acorns you're seeing this year are likely a result of last season's successful pollination. And don't worry, a red oak tree can carry acorns in both stages, so there are reds that commonly produce every year to varying degrees.

Comment

I'll be out this mornin fighting the skeeters with my arrows. Fish pond around what, half past 11 or so?

I believe that is the plan

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                      I believe that is the plan
                      Works for me, I'll be there unless there's blood on the ground.

Comment

I didn't make it into the woods this morning but I will see yall at the Fish Pond.

Comment

Enjoyed chatting with y'all at the fish pond today, was great catching up and talking. Bryant, I didn't get your number when you texted me at lunch earlier, it came through weird, so when you get the chance shoot me another text so I can get your contact info saved in my phone. Now time for class work while I wait for that "cold" front to move in [emoji19]

Comment

It was good chatting with you and Tod also, good luck to you and Tod tomorrow and next week.

Comment

There are a number of factors (these ain't all of em but they're the biggies), like if there's a late frost after pollination of the acorn crop has taken place. Another factor is a crazy dry summer after successful pollination of the crop. That depends on the pollination being successful though. During about a 1 week period in the spring (when pollen is flying everywhere) the oaks partake and during this time pollination is achieved. If it rains during this week of the year, especially more than once or twice, it will prevent pollination and the acorns won't have a chance (that happened this year is my guess, since no white oaks are producing). Now, why then do we have red oaks that produced? The reason we have reds this season is because where white oak acorns mature in the year they were pollinated, most if not all red oaks take two seasons to mature. So, the acorns you're seeing this year are likely a result of last season's successful pollination. And don't worry, a red oak tree can carry acorns in both stages, so there are reds that commonly produce every year to varying degrees.

Thanks Chief! appreciate the info - on a side note I was out today and left early to finally get a Thermacell - can't wait for these "cold" fronts to come in.

Comment

I enjoyed the visit fellas!

Comment

Working...
                                X