Removable muzzle brake???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removable muzzle brake???

I'm leaning towards a 6.5 PRC which may have a bit more recoil than I prefer as I've been a .243 guy. The noise of a braked rifle, at least on my .300 WinMag, is obscene and downright ear piercing from a box blind. Should I just suck it up and deal with the higher recoil or put a brake on it? It couldn't possibly be as loud as the .300, right? If I do a brake, would there any value in having it be removable? If it would impact the POI, I would either not brake it or make it not removable.

Thinking out loud here and looking forward to my first custom rifle. Plus, many of my TBH brothers would make fun of me for getting a 6.5 manbun plus Docmay got the 6.5 PRC for his amazing Grand Slam hunt and, well, he's living the hunting life I wish I could afford!

I don't like recoil either. My 28 has a brake on it which is super loud. I just carry ear plugs with me even to the stand. Actually I got a ear plug head band that doesn't require you to roll up the plug for each ear and stick it in. That would take too much time in a hunting situation. With the head band it provides the pressure to hold the plug in place and only takes a second to put in. might look into that.

Comment

Never seen a Brake that you could remove that did not change POI . I have two brakes for my 6.5 one is for the QD and the other is not I spent some time playing around and the two brakes are nothing a like . So with the current QD on it I know what I must do to alter the scope for each set up .

Next is Sub sonic so a 3rd sighting will need to be done .

Comment

Why not get some electronic hearing protection to wear while hunting? I always have hearing protection with me in the blind.

Comment

man I wouldn't worry about sound if you are willing to wear hearing protection. I have some of the Walker game ears razor series muffs and I absolutely love them.

Comment

Get a suppressor. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Creed Killer View Post
              man I wouldn't worry about sound if you are willing to wear hearing protection. I have some of the Walker game ears razor series muffs and I absolutely love them.
              This. I can hear light sounds and my buddies whisper better than I can without them. Of course, that's from the years of not wearing them.

Comment

Check out area 419 brake. Mine doesn’t change the impact and I can time it easily.

Comment

All brakes should be removable, otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain/clean the muzzle crown area. Plus getting solvent soaked into the muzzle threads via normal cleaning is not a good thing over time. Sometimes they will have a POI shift, sometimes not. No way to know other than shoot it to see. Some brakes like the 419 mentioned above will be much easier to remove/re-install for normal maintenance. I've been playing with the "Heathen" from Insite Arms lately and it installs about as easily as the 419 but has a little less blast back toward the shooter. Both of those brakes are absolutely fantastic for recoil reduction.

Comment

I'm interested in the muzzle brake conversation, glad to hear the input.

I do have a great pair of custom fitted shooting sound suppressing ear plugs that I use for bird hunting and sighting in my rifle. But, when I'm in the deer blind, it seems like my fleece beanie cap works just fine to reduce the sound. I couldn't imagine wearing my other one's the whole hunt.

Comment

I second the suppressor!! One of the best things I have ever purchased from a shooting standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                        Check out area 419 brake. Mine doesn’t change the impact and I can time it easily.
                        To use this brake just order my custom rifle threaded and install this on my own?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are doing one of the TBH builds, just let us know and it will be installed when you get it.

Comment

I have rifles in a 6.5PRC and a 300PRC both have little b@stards breaks and both are removable and the rifle make provided barrel caps. The recoil is crazy minimal. No regrets...

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                              Get a suppressor. [emoji4
                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              get a can and you wont regret it

Comment

Working...
                              X