No announcement yet.

Happiness vs Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money wont buy happiness but it will dang sure rent it!

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
      Talk to current employer and maybe get a counter offer.
      YES! This is first. Oh, have the offer letter in hand when u close the door to have the discussion.
      Originally posted by rconn View Post
      oh yeah and at the new company the have TBH blocked
      LOL.......I got nada!
      Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      You've already made up your mind - you just want approval to walk away from $30K
      That's what I am gathering also.
      Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Money wont buy happiness but it will dang sure rent it!
      BAM!!! Exactly right sir.

Comment

I wouldn't leave a job I enjoyed for 30k more to be on uncertain ground.

Comment

my boss now is a big hunter so he is pretty easy on me during hunting season with letting go when the rut is on or weather is perfect. Hard to put a price on that sometimes lol
          Yep this fact alone would make made my decision to stay easy.

Comment

good thing is I wouldn't have to move, just would leave great company and a lot of friends. guess I need to sit down talk to my current boss and tell him whats going on
            ^^^^This. Definitely talk to your boss and ask him what he thinks and what he would do. If you stay he will appreciate you that much more. Also, it will be easier for him to get you a raise if he knows what is going on.

Comment

oh yeah and at the new company the have TBH blocked
              Nope TBH is worth more than 30K a yr happiness and security says a lot. But if you go to your current boss and tell him to give you more or your leaving..... he might open the door for you

Comment

I would look at it long term. Are you absolutely certain your current position is 100% rock solid? What if someone comes along and offers the owners stupid money to sell? What if the current owner gets hit with a life threatening disease? Is there are good continuation plan in place? What I am getting at is your current position could change tomorrow. Companies get bought and sold all the time and stuff happens. Odds are, you will make 4 or 5 major career changes during your life. If you decide to talk to your current employer to see if they want to counter, be ready to be shown the door. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

30k is relative....if that was double my salary or only about 10% would make a big difference...be careful of sharing your thoughts with current employer...only you can judge that relationship best.

Comment

Take the money

Comment

I haven't read the responses. But I've gone from being gone making great money to being home everyday making half of what I made and I love it. I've had to down size my living style but to be able to do whatever I want and be with family everyday makes up for the half I lost

Comment

Unless you are happy making the change, I would not try to leverage the offer to get a raise at your current job. Talking to your boss about it and letting him know that the extra money is very tempting is fine. But if he feels like he has to offer more pay to keep you, he will keep that 'what have you done for me lately' idea in his head in future dealings with you.
                        Instead, assuming you prefer to stay put, I'd let him know of the offer and the extra money and tell him you'd rather stay put. But you have to really think about it with a family to support, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                          30k is relative....if that was double my salary or only about 10% would make a big difference...be careful of sharing your thoughts with current employer...only you can judge that relationship best.
                          This.

Comment

I work for money. Find happiness in other things like my church, hunting, fishing, family. I moved across Texas for a more money job and it was the best thing I ever did.

Comment

Depends on the percentage it would increase your salary.

Comment

Go for the money the other company will probably take u back if u don't like it

Comment

Working...
                                X