Can Chauvin get a fair trial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Chauvin get a fair trial?

Was thinking about this. Despite Chauvin’s trial being the exact kind of trial where fair and impartial is critically needed, is it possible for him to get a truly fair trial? Will any judge, juror, or even defense attorney risk causing riots if he is acquitted? Imagine the riots if he is acquitted. They will make last week seem like the good ol’ days.

Also consider that Minneapolis has already stated it will defund and restructure public safety. Is that a guilty verdict for Chauvin already? It certainly seems to be...and perhaps a step towards mitigating the impact of a civil suit.

Also, to what extent will Kueng and Lane throw the other two officers under the bus? It was their 4th day as cops...I can’t imagine getting caught up in something like this brand new on the job.

I wonder if Chauvin is going to plead guilty to avoid the maelstrom of chaos that will follow if he goes to trial. I can only imagine the political pressure his attorney would feel. One side pressuring a speedy trial in an effort to secure a conviction while Trump is president, the other side using every tool at their disposal to delay.

Crazy stuff

I can't see how anyone would get a fair trial after this fiasco

Comment

Only way I can see it happening is to televise the whole thing 100%... Given that, at least folks who'd want to follow along could see how the system works and how the trial outcomes were achieved... no surprises at the end... much like the "OJ" trial... Of course that's not a good example of a public trial being followed and no riots/looting followed because it's the opposite occurrence, but all American tuned in for that. Same thing would happen with this one and the media (good and bad) would at least see how it may be progressing and be ready for whatever the outcomes might be without shock and awe...

Comment

No possible way it could be fair. There is no possible way to find a single person in the community of Minneapolis who doesn’t have some sort of bias in either direction after what all has gone on to participate in the jury let alone a judge.

Comment

Conviction or acquittal either way will bring about another round of rioting/looting...

bet

Comment

Cop

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Was thinking about this. Despite Chauvin’s trial being the exact kind of trial where fair and impartial is critically needed, is it possible for him to get a truly fair trial? Will any judge, juror, or even defense attorney risk causing riots if he is acquitted? Imagine the riots if he is acquitted. They will make last week seem like the good ol’ days.

Also consider that Minneapolis has already stated it will defund and restructure public safety. Is that a guilty verdict for Chauvin already? It certainly seems to be...and perhaps a step towards mitigating the impact of a civil suit.

Also, to what extent will Kueng and Lane throw the other two officers under the bus? It was their 4th day as cops...I can’t imagine getting caught up in something like this brand new on the job.

I wonder if Chauvin is going to plead guilty to avoid the maelstrom of chaos that will follow if he goes to trial. I can only imagine the political pressure his attorney would feel. One side pressuring a speedy trial in an effort to secure a conviction while Trump is president, the other side using every tool at their disposal to delay.

Crazy stuff
            Who cares. I wouldn't even go there right now on this site. Leave it be.

Comment

Crazy stuff
              I believe in America.....despite the anomolies in the judicial system. We have had tough cases for many decades/centuries and suspect we can navigate accordingly. We are not batting .500 but I doubt any nation is......but we continue to fix our gaps.....thus progress towards the promise of America.[emoji1258]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Crazy stuff
                I don't see any way this case gets resolved before the November election. Maybe I'm wrong but I think only 5 months is unheard of timing for murder trial. Especially a high profile murder trial. I think the trial will be at least a year out and would expect the trial to last a month or better.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                  I don't see any way this case gets resolved before the November election. Maybe I'm wrong but I think only 5 months is unheard of timing for murder trial. Especially a high profile murder trial. I think the trial will be at least a year out and would expect the trial to last a month or better.
                  Absolutely! Not gonna be a sprint. I am sure he will get bailed out later this week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

No way!

Comment

It will be a slow process...especially when the big show comes (the civil trial). The end goal will be the big $$$$$. I hope that the pregnant female that had a gun put on her by Floyd (during the home invasion he was convicted of) is keeping track of all this and files her own civil suit/lien on the future judgement that will be coming.

Comment

I may get crucified but here goes. The man didn’t move, or barely moved, for the eight and some odd seconds of the video I saw. The officer was not struggling at all. Had his hand in his pocket and no problem keeping his balance. We literally found ourselves in our living room yelling at the officer on tv “get off his neck”! “Get off his neck “! He was subdued and cuffed. I know he had priors but still no excuse for this behavior.
                        And yes to Oscar’s point. I still believe in our country and despite all our faults and failures I wouldn’t live anywhere else. And I will continue to support l e. One horrible decision by one cop should not make every cop guilty. Like I said before: everybody hates cops and lawyers till you need one.
                        Last edited by Hogmauler; 06-08-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

He was found guilty the moment the man died.....

No amount of money you could give me to be a police officer in todays world......

None....

God Bless you that do this...I support you 100%

Comment

I stay fairly educated on our retirement system and the in/outs. I have received calls from about 6 different guys today asking questions about bust out checks, buying years of service, and how to get actual retirement numbers. I would imagine this is going on nationwide. There is about to be a real shortage of guys to take 911 calls soon. Some folks may get exactly what they are asking for and it may get a little western in some major cities soon.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              I stay fairly educated on our retirement system and the in/outs. I have received calls from about 6 different guys today asking questions about bust out checks, buying years of service, and how to get actual retirement numbers. I would imagine this is going on nationwide. There is about to be a real shortage of guys to take 911 calls soon. Some folks may get exactly what they are asking for and it may get a little western in some major cities soon.

Glen I think you're right and it won't be just LEO's either... Fire, EMS/EMT, pretty much first responders of all flavors... If you were a firefighter headed to a fire in a "rough" neighborhood and knew there would be no police back up... would you want to go? I for sure wouldn't...

I guess the bright side for the city budgets is they'll have money to spend elsewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X