Anyone else applying for Iowa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SETXHUNT0902 View Post
    I just bought my first point in hopes of getting drawn in a few years for a good zone.

The way I read the website was that if you apply and dont get drawn, the you dont lose your points, but you dont gain one for that year either. But you keep the current number of accumulated points that you already had.

Actually I think if you apply and don’t get drawn you get a preference point for the following year. At least that is how I read it since they deduct the cost of a preference point from your fees before they send it back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
      Actually I think if you apply and don’t get drawn you get a preference point for the following year. At least that is how I read it since they deduct the cost of a preference point from your fees before they send it back to you.

Yeah you might be right. Either way as long as you dont lose all your accumulated points its good.

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
        Applying to zone 5 with 4 pts
        Exactly what I’ll be doing....in 2021

Comment

Applying for Iowa? Anyone want to share some more in this... is like applying for an elk tag to a specific unit our west?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
            Applying for Iowa? Anyone want to share some more in this... is like applying for an elk tag to a specific unit our west?

There is a lottery. You put in for the specific zone you want as well as which season (archery,shotgun,muzzleloader). Most zones it takes a few years to get drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
              There is a lottery. You put in for the specific zone you want as well as which season (archery,shotgun,muzzleloader). Most zones it takes a few years to get drawn.

I see. When applying do you have to purchase your tags and license up front and then get a refund if you’re not drawn for that year?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                I see. When applying do you have to purchase your tags and license up front and then get a refund if you’re not drawn for that year?

Yes. It came to $660 this year. Not one of the cheaper states to hunt for sure.

Comment

Good luck to everyone applying this year. Successful or not on your hunt, the experience to hunt the rut up here is well worth the cost of the tag.

Even with last summer's EHD outbreaks the deer in in our area are looking good.

We are fortunate that our farm is in a river corridor that is surrounded by corn, beans, clover and alfalfa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Arrowsmith; 06-05-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I had 3 points and a great place to hunt in zone 5 but with too many irons in the fire already I just bought another point. I plan to hunt Iowa next year with any luck.

I have a moose tag in NW Montana and I'll follow up with antelope in Arizona this fall. Both tags were drawn on my 20th year of applying. I have already gained a ton of good info for both hunts and I'm pretty pumped about them.

Comment

Anyone else applying for Iowa?

Arrow... the farm looks like an awesome place! What zone are y’all in?

If I get drawn this year I may be reaching out for some tips before I go.

Last edited by lost cajun; 06-06-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations on reputable outfitters? My group all have 4 points. We are looking for some good outfitters in Unit 5 or other big buck units. Would be first outfitted hunt for any of us, but being that it takes 4+ years to draw we figured this would be best odds for first trip to Iowa. This would be for next year (2021) too fyi...

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                          Anyone have any recommendations on reputable outfitters? My group all have 4 points. We are looking for some good outfitters in Unit 5 or other big buck units. Would be first outfitted hunt for any of us, but being that it takes 4+ years to draw we figured this would be best odds for first trip to Iowa. This would be for next year (2021) too fyi...
                          How many guys in your group? I’ll have 4 points and plan on going next year. Maybe we could share info on outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                            How many guys in your group? I’ll have 4 points and plan on going next year. Maybe we could share info on outfitters.
                            It’ll be at least 3, probably 4. I’m down with sharing info

Comment

I applied with 4 points for zone 5. Any idea when they release the draw results?

Comment

Just got an email. Successful for zone 6 bow

Comment

Working...
                                X