No announcement yet.

IYO, Is college worth it !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I firmly believe that you can make a good living without a college degree. But, some food for thought: 80% of millionaires have a college degree. 70% of billionaires have a college degree.

Comment

A. Bachelors
      B. Yes
      C. Yes. I would do it again.

Comment

I graduated High School and lasted maybe 6 weeks in college. While college may not be needed an education will be needed. You may be the greatest carpenter, welder, electrician etc that ever lived, but if you get injured that's it. Learn the business side of your trade. I have seen many good craftsmen go under because they could not manage the business side of things. Trust me manual labor will take its toll on your back and joints. Learn how to run the show. Don't be satisfied with just making a decent paycheck. Learn all there is to know about whatever field you decide to go in .

Comment

I think in most cases, college is absolutely worth it.

But you have to weigh the quality of the school you're attending against the cost and your desired vocation upon graduation.

You go to A&M, major in Engineering or Business, you're getting a fantastic ROI with the job you'll land.

You go to TCU, major in Elementary Education, you probably won't break even if you live to 100.

I have a BS in acct, a masters in Finance, I turned 40 a month ago and could retire a year from now, though I have no desire to.

Comment

College is not for everyone. I am doing it because my whole family including me were all high school drop outs. I eventually got my GED,and associates degree and went to the police academy. I have been in Law Enforcement for 9 years and a degree will let me promote. And eventually possible teach at a community college after retirement.
            My wife is a teacher and a bachelors and masters in Mathematics (yuck). She only got the masters because the school district paid for it and she loves math

Is I worth it? That’s still to be determined for me. I will say this, just because you have a degree does not make you smarter. I work with prosecutors all day every day and some are just flat out dumb. The funny part is I make more than the new prosecutors with 120-180 in student loan debt

Comment

I have an Associates Degree in Petroleum Engineering Technology (retired in 2015).
              I didn't do work in my direct field but it did open some doors in the Petroleum Industry. I worked 17 yrs with Schlumberger and 17 yrs with Hubbell Electrical Products. Both of these companies had Pension programs which I'm very fortunate to have that income now that I'm retired. Most of my career was in sales so it was a great ride and I enjoyed most of those years.

Comment

1)BBA in Finance
                2) Technically, no, but I am a better business owner due to my finance and accounting background.
                3) Yes it was worth it.

College is worth it if one pursues a degree that has demand in a field that requires a degree. Otherwise you will better off getting technical training or starting working right out of high school. Remember, you will need to make enough additional money from your degree to offset the cost of the degree along with the 4 or so years you aren't working full time. Today I see too many high school graduates that look at college as a 4 year delay from entering the real world.

Comment

My case is probably not the norm, but here it is.
                  No college
                  6 figures
                  7th year in 6 figures. 10 years in the industry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaprockRoamer View Post
                    Currently enrolled in college at Texas Tech. I personally feel that college has turned into one of the largest financial institutions out there. I pay thousands to listen to a professor rant a rave about off topic points only to be sent home with the curriculum in order to learn it all myself. On top of that, I'm penalized when I don't show up to listen to their ranting and raving, but yet they're not teaching my anything.

As far as being 100 percent a necessity for our youth, I have to disagree. I struggle with this daily due to an autistic child living at home. He's an awesome kid and very intelligent, but I don't believe college is going to be the right choice for him. (Thank the Lord I still have a decade to work this out.)

I understand your point about how it "molds" us, but I have to admit, my military service did that much more adequately than college will ever be able to do.

Is it a right of passage? For the elitists out there, whose most significant hurdle in life will be completing college, I believe so, but not everyone. Please understand, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but do not believe it is realistic to paint this picture in one broad stroke.

I don't believe college is an absolute necessity, but honestly believe it opens doors that would otherwise be closed. I feel that college definitely gives your future employers the sense that you have the ability to stick through with something you started. If it wasn't required for the career I hope to pursue, I would utilize my time in some other fashion.

Getting off topic here. Have you folks looked into ketogenic diets for autistic children. Amazing results on speech, movement and seizures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say leave up to your kids, not everyone is college material, I wasn't. I went to TSTC just to get a certificate for something I was doing straight out of high school. I have made a very good living, even was sent to Saudi because of my skill set. That being said both my daughter were college people both have bachelor degrees and one is going for her master. When they get a little older you will be able to tell the ones that will want to further their education and the ones that aren't. I will say this every college student should have a vested interest in their education, dad shouldn't foot the whole bill.

Comment

BS and MS in Biology
                        Use some of it every week
                        I went back in the late 80s/early 90s and commuted to UTSA. I mowed grass and lived at home, so I was able to complete it without debt. We are putting a son through Sam Houston these days and the cost is so high, not sure a student could self-pay as you go.

All that said, the TIME spent in college was worth it. It gave me a broader perspective on life and careers, so that I had a better head on my shoulders--not just book smarts stuff when I got out.

I tell all three of my sons this, "the degree or tech school training/certification may get you your first job--but it is your attitude, work ethic, and drive that determines the rest of your career--oh, and pray lots".

Just my opinion.

Comment

Today’s generation will have to have a degree. It is the equivalent as to having a high school diploma 30 years ago. Next thing to come will be everyone has to have a masters degree to do any good in the world. Depending on the background and up-bringing, some people just don’t need it. I’m going to college because I have to, but it is a back-up plan as I have my own company. Some kids need college because it is a wake up call to the real world, and some are still lost when they graduate as well, so I believe that it has a lot to do with the work ethic and the attitude they have towards work to determine wether it’s needed or not!

Comment

A. BBA Accounting
                            B. Yes. I work as an accountant
                            C. I've more than doubled my income 6 yrs after graduating. Went up by 30% out of the gate after graduation so yes definitely worth it. I borrowed 100% and I would not recommend that to anyone. But even still I would say it was worth it.

Comment

I have a buddy that graduated with a philosophy degree or something similarly worthless, drove a Dr. Pepper truck for awhile, and then married the daughter of a billionaire. He met her in college.

Worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                                Other than the experience, College is basically paying for specialized knowledge which you could get on you own for free from any library or the Internet.
                                College is a great business model. Very profitable
                                1st person in my family to graduate High School
                                No college only a HSD.
                                Business owner.
                                Last real job I had my salary was over 300k a year.
                                I would hire someone with real world experience over anyone coming out of college.
                                I have seen both out in the field and the experience always wins out.

Another question for you. Who would you be more likely to hire.

A and M grad with high book smarts and low common sense, knows little about the job he is applying for?

Sam Houston grad with average book smarts, high levels of common sense, and a knack for the job he is applying for?

Comment

Working...
                                X