Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plots

When planting a fall food plot what does the green screen look for in a weather forecast before throwing seed? I have a 50% chance of rain Thursday and was thinking of throwing my seed today but i am still up in the air on it. I see where some have planted and some are still waiting a few more weeks. First time planting and want to make sure i give myself the best odds for growth!

Army worms are my main concern

Comment

Hill country I wait till October or its all eaten up when really needed buts thats just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot for end of September- first October due to worms alone and it can turn off hot again. I plantwhen there’s almost certain rain. Have planted as late as mid November with great results

Got to have moisture
        Got to monitor for worms. On young grains they can wipe it out in 2-3 days

Comment

My objective has always been get it planted by a couple of weeks before bow season and hope for rain.

Comment

It's looking a little dry for the next several days. I think I will wait for a while.

Comment

We will plant the 2nd or third week of October

Comment

Seems like the best bet is to make sure there is a couple of days of rain in the forecast on back to back days before planting is where everyone is leaning. I have always read late September and on but wanted it there for bow season as well, I think i will wait until more rain is in the forecast. Thanks for all the input and offering feedback that may help this food plot newbie!

Comment

Tomorrow we are Getting drills and stuff ready to put in about 5,000 acres of wheat. As soon as its dry enough we are rolling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Im also going out this weekend to get everything ready but after the last two years of Army Worms Im going to wait till October before I plant.

Comment

Wheat going in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                        Wheat going in.

I no-till drilled my plots on Saturday west of Marietta, OK and have been wishing I hadn't with no rain in the forecast. I'm assuming you know what you are doing more than me if you are planting 5,000 acres. So, you made me feel better about my plots. Or, is this irrigated?

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
                          I no-till drilled my plots on Saturday west of Marietta, OK and have been wishing I hadn't with no rain in the forecast. I'm assuming you know what you are doing more than me if you are planting 5,000 acres. So, you made me feel better about my plots. Or, is this irrigated?
                          No its not irrigated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                            No its not irrigated.

How long does it take to plant 5000 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              How long does it take to plant 5000 acres?
                              I'm running a 35ft drill today and can make about 20 to 25 acres an hour.

According to the math if you ran everyday thatd be 25 days at 8 hours a day. But we all know how farming goes. Like today, blew power steering hose on grain truck etc.

Other drill and tractor is a little smaller, maybe a 28ft.

I just help a friend on my days off. This is his operation.

Comment

Working...
                              X