Keto fish fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keto fish fry?

The 2020 weight loss challenge did not go well for me. Dhall1414 and I will be absolutely destroying the crappie and sandies on Friday. Hoping to see if anyone has a good keto fish batter recipe? I have some kind of lentil flour, coconut flour, almond flour, parmesean cheese, pork rhinds... Anyone else attemped this before?

I wonder if crumbled up pork rinds would make a good crust for fried fish? Definitely would taste good. Just don't know what would happen when they hit the hot grease.

Comment

Crushed pork rinds

Comment

I’m thinking more of a nut flour, like almond flour. I came across several that call for this; one, in particular, uses seltzer water (instead of beer?) to bind the dry ingredients. It was low on seasoning so let me find the right ones in another recipe then cobble them together. I’ll try to have something for you later this morning.

Comment

Louisiana (blue and yellow wrapper) has a fishfry coating that is relatively low, like 6 grams carb per half cup

Comment

Thank you, everyone.

Comment

I use almond flour and pork rinds.

Comment

I've used the chili and lime pork rinds from HEB and it turned out pretty good

Comment

Okay, here’s what I got:

Batter for 1 1/2 pounds of fish:
                  2/3 cup almond flour
                  1/4 cup unflavored protein powder (or you might consider substituting ground pork rinds as another member suggested)
                  1/2 teaspoon salt
                  1/2 teaspoon black pepper
                  1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
                  1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                  1/2 teaspoon paprika
                  1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                  (or you could substitute a couple of teaspoons of Tony Chachere’s for the dried ingredients)
                  2 large eggs
                  1/4 to 1/3 sparkling water, chilled (though I prefer club soda as the effervescence is much stronger and won’t go fat in a heavy batter)
                  *I also like a very forward lemony flavor so I’d probably add some dried lemon peel. Not sure how much, though. You’d just have to play with it.

Good luck and let me know how it works if you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    Okay, here’s what I got:

2/3 cup almond flour
                    1/4 cup unflavored protein powder (or you might consider substituting ground pork rinds as another member suggested)
                    1/2 teaspoon salt
                    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                    1/2 teaspoon paprika
                    (or you could substitute a couple of teaspoons of Tony Chachere’s for the dried ingredients)
                    2 large eggs
                    1/4 to 1/3 sparkling water, chilled (though I prefer club soda as the effervescence is much stronger and won’t go fat in a heavy batter)
                    *I also like a very forward lemony flavor so I’d probably add some dried lemon peel. Not sure how much, though. You’d just have to play with it.

Awesome, thank you!!!! Hopefully I have to multiply the recipe by 10 🤣🤣

I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

I like coconut flour better than almond flour. I think it would be good on fish too. It has a little bit of sweetness to it. I bet it would be good mixed with port rinds.

Comment

My fear is it will be too gritty with coconut flour.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Keto fish fry?

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          Okay, here’s what I got:

2/3 cup almond flour
                          1/2 teaspoon salt
                          1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                          1/2 teaspoon paprika
                          2 large eggs

Used this tonight. I used two teaspoons of slap ya momma hot. I would have liked more seasoning next time personally, but it came out good!

Fried trout, jicama fries, and jalapeño ranch dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by CentralTXHunter; 06-22-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

That looks great! I’m like you in that I like my seasonings strong enough to bite back. How much would you likely increase them next time? Maybe double...from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon?

Comment

I did a small batch of fish. Probably just go a half and test it or just add some course ground black pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X