Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, PM sent.

Comment

So what is the purpose of this film? 8 mil isn’t very thick. I’m thinking probably about like windshield glass maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mike it gets stiffer the thicker it gets and is not as clear as the thinner material. Read post #15 bro. Burglar bars are unsightly and can hinder escape in case of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Mike it gets stiffer the thicker it gets and is not as clear as the thinner material. Read post #15 bro. Burglar bars are unsightly and can hinder escape in case of fire.

I understand that but you specifically mentioned 8mil on your OP.

I would set it preventing glass from breaking and possibly injuring someone but I can’t see it keeping someone out if they want in.

Comment

It won’t keep a determined person out for very long. Maybe two, three minutes depending on what they are using. Tempered glass shatters immediately but once again, the film can give you more time which can be critical in a home invasion scenario or a burglary.

Comment

I've been googling this stuff a lot lately as well. There are a ton of them on amazon for the DIY guy. Also they have films with a reflective side so that during the day you can see out and people can't see in...I'm looking at this for the front of my house.

Comment

security film is great IMO. If you have a broken window it keeps from making a mess and yes glass will still break but keeps it "intact". Can they get through? Yes but much harder however make sure if possible they install it under or before trim if present. That goes a long way to keeping prolonging determined thieves. Also you can use it as tint or privacy glass.
                Last edited by BuckRage; 07-10-2020, 05:43 AM.

Comment

also IME.... window film in general is never a great idea to install yourself. Unless you don't mind it looking terrible or getting a sore back lol. It's one of them looks way easier than it really is things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I understand that but you specifically mentioned 8mil on your OP.

I would set it preventing glass from breaking and possibly injuring someone but I can’t see it keeping someone out if they want in.

Nothing can stop someone if they truly want in. It just slows them down for the easy hits. It’ll turn away someone looking for a quick smash and grab. They’re going to have to put more effort in, and make more noise doing so. It’s just another deterrent, and they work pretty well for their intended usage.

Comment

Exactly TX03.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        It won’t keep a determined person out for very long. Maybe two, three minutes depending on what they are using. Tempered glass shatters immediately but once again, the film can give you more time which can be critical in a home invasion scenario or a burglary.

That I can see. That’s why I made the windshield reference. It won’t shatter or break and fall out and may buy you a little time.

Comment

According to my police friends:
                          Expensive, but worth it if you worry about break-ins. They will get in, but in twice the time. Makes a lot of noise, and will wake you up doing it, so you can arm yourself. Makes it harder for them to escape, after you shoot them so they don't die in the yard!

Comment

Yup $ 2747.00 for the backside of our home and the front glass door. Hate having glass in the front door but it’s leaded so maybe that helps a little.

Comment

Sounds like this would be great for deer blind windows if it was relatively inexpensive. Hail knocked windows out of three of our blinds this year and owls destroyed them in no time.

Comment

Wow never heard of that happening in a deer blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X