This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moose rifle/caliber thoughts

Helping a buddy get prepared for a moose hunt.

The likely situation is Horseback in Montana so rifle weight probably is less of a concern.
    MT Moose maybe go to 600 lbs as opposed to the 1800 pounders found farther north.
    He's expecting he may need to shoot out to 500 yards (more on that later)
    (if you have experience pack hunting MT you may know better than I and I'd love to hear from you.)

I can build him some good heavy/hot loads in 30.06 or .308 but I don't have dies for 300WM.

My thinking...

.300WM or 30.06 and if he's willing to wait on closer shots .308
    (he does have a .270 but I would think that might be borderline too small.)

As to his skill level and "good shot placement"...
    Let's just say I hope we have plenty of time to get him some practice.
    I'm assuming it will be guided and he'll have a pro calling the wind for him but I really don't think he realizes just how hard a 500 yard shot is.

So with practice being essential the WM has drawbacks in the form of recoil/flinching and cost of ammo.

Popping the corn and waiting for the opinions to fly. Let'r rip!

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    Helping a buddy get prepared for a moose hunt.

The likely situation is Horseback in Montana so rifle weight probably is less of a concern.
    MT Moose maybe go to 600 lbs as opposed to the 1800 pounders found farther north.
    He's expecting he may need to shoot out to 500 yards (more on that later)
    (if you have experience pack hunting MT you may know better than I and I'd love to hear from you.)

I can build him some good heavy/hot loads in 30.06 or .308 but I don't have dies for 300WM.

My thinking...

M
    .300WM or 30.06 and if he's willing to wait on closer shots .308
    (he does have a .270 but I would think that might be borderline too small.)

As to his skill level and "good shot placement"...
    Let's just say I hope we have plenty of time to get him some practice.
    I'm assuming it will be guided and he'll have a pro calling the wind for him but I really don't think he realizes just how hard a 500 yard shot is.

So with practice being essential the WM has drawbacks in the form of recoil/flinching and cost of ammo.

Popping the corn and waiting for the opinions to fly. Let'r rip!
    My opinion but @ 500 yards your room for error is much smaller so I would use the most effective caliber possible.

I think if he has a 300WM, factory ammo would be fine.

That would be my choice all day, but I'm comfortable with the recoil and gun personally. Today I wouldn't be comfortable making much more than a 300 yard shot without quite a bit of range time dialing that in. So if he isnt comfortable, better get that range time in.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
      My opinion but @ 500 yards your room for error is much smaller so I would use the most effective caliber possible.

I think if he has a 300WM, factory ammo would be fine.

That would be my choice all day, but I'm comfortable with the recoil and gun personally. Today I wouldn't be comfortable making much more than a 300 yard shot without quite a bit of range time dialing that in. So if he isnt comfortable, better get that range time in.
      At least he is aware and honest about his limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        At least he is aware and honest about his limitations.
        For sure, alot of guys aren't :-)

I have a Winchester 70 in 300WM and the thing is so dang heavy it doesn't kick anymore than most .308s.

I think that the most important thing is range time with any of the choices. I'm probably biased as the WM is my go to gun now a days for hogs and long shots on whitetails. I think it's a great all around round capable of taking any game in North America. I once owned a 300 Weatherby Mag but traded it for this gun as it was mucho cheaper to shoot.

Comment

Anything 270 or bigger will do the trick. As long as he can actually hit anything at 500yds.

I would put ALL my emphasis on practicing shooting at 500+ yards.

A person has NO BUSINESS shooting at an animal at that kind of yardage if they dont regularly shoot at those distances and have their D.O.P.E. figured out.

Comment

Moose aren't the toughest animal out there, a 270 win or 30-06 with 165 gr or 180 gr will do nicely also

Comment

Practice small , be proficient, then fine tune proficiency with a .300, .338 type , or shorten
              Limited range (300yd ) and go with a .35 whelen , practice with a heavy barreled rifle, hunt with a thin barrel lighter weight rifle
              I humped my same .300 wm from Mexico to the arctic circle , deer , pronghorn, elk , mule deer, caribou, moose hunting and a Colorado black bear hunt

500 yards is a un reasonable “ field conditions “ shot unless on a lifetime hunt ( sheep , or foreign country mountain hunt )
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-03-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

If'n I was lucky enough to be Moose hunting I would sure be taking my 300WSM and my custom 338WSM. 300 yards and under I hit em with the 338WSM Long range I would use the 300wsm. I would also shoot the heaviest bullet that would fit in the magazine. I can fit 200gr barnes in the .338 and 165gr Barnes in the 300. Or-------------I could use which ever I had in my hand at the time.
                30 cal or bigger. Don't be shootin no moose wit one dem girlyman calibers.

Comment

What I keep reading from others here is that the Creed can do it all better than anything else

Comment

270 or better will do just fine.
                    Moose aren't that tough and the vitals are large.
                    Shoulder cannons are WAY overrated when it comes to lethality. Telling people you shoot a .300 weatherby can do wonders for the ego if that sort of thing is important to you.

Comment

I got mine with a 180 gr Barnes in 30-06. I would not take a 500 yard shot at any animal, but that is just me.

Comment

Like said above a .270 or 7mm-08 and up will do the trick. Not the toughest animals, and a big target as far as vitals are concerned. One thing to remember is even when they are double lunged, it make take a few minutes for their lungs to deflate and he might stand there the whole time before toppling over.

Why would he be shooting at 500 yards? Moose season is during the rut so calling them in close is the name of the game with the majority of all moose killed any where are under 100 yards.

Comment

300 Win Mag is always the correct answer on anything larger than varmints.

Comment

What rifle does he have now?

Comment

500 nitro express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X