Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    I still like big deer.

I don't care if they live in a high fence.

I don't care if their parents were born in a pen.

I don't care if they have a hole in their ear.

I still like low fence deer.

I like sitting at deer camp,
    sleeping in fancy lodges,
    sitting on the bank of a tank,
    dove hunting,
    getting up early,
    seeing the sun rise,
    watching the sun set,
    staying up later than I should,
    drinking bourbon,
    drinking beer,
    chasing quail,
    catching bass,
    napping on the couch between hunts,
    eating steaks outside,
    facebooking from a deer stand,
    watching a kid kill their first or tenth deer,
    chasing deer with dogs,
    trailing deer with dogs,
    watching a friend see deer they've never seen,
    taking wounded veterans hunting,
    telling big lies,
    talking ****,
    sharing deer pictures,
    guessing scores and age,
    and hearing other people's stories.

I'm not going to let social media, or what someone else thinks, or what a deer scores ruin what I love.
    Well said

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    As long as...I get to send time in the woods with my kids that's all that matters to me.
    THIS! 100%

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    If you want to see what a bunch of happy hunters look like then take a look at this page. Everything from does, to one horn spikes to outstanding bucks.

No prefacing the post with a score sheet, No scores even metnioned, low fence and no fence, and no staring at a feeder for hours.

Just getting done the old fashion way and loving it.

Since shotgun 1 opened last Saturday you will have to scroll down to get into the archery deer.

https://www.facebook.com/trophybucksofiowa/
    I enjoy the Freezer Filler page, as well as Parenting Done Right Outdoors just people enjoying the hunt for the hunt itself versus chasing inches

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    A trophy isn't just about the size of the rack.
    Yes sir! I agree

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
    Oh hell. Might want to clean out your pm’s. You have a bunch coming in now.
    I tried...its still full

jk

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
    I would love to find a place like this for me and my kids!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    I would even agree to not shoot any "trophy" if my wife and kids and I can kill every "cull" like the ones Buff posted we'd be in hawg heaven

I've watched some of the biggest deer most people will ever see, and enjoyed every second of it. But I also haven't been bothered one iota about not being able to kill one myself. I enjoy a 130" just as much as most folks enjoy a 160-170 or bigger I would kill anything I'm given a green light on, anywhere...but I don't have to have that to enjoy the season, as long as I get out under Gods creation and enjoy the great outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
      Hunters can have such egos.

I just like hunting.

A lot of folks use "their type of hunting" as a way to demean others. Like public land hunters are better, low fence is better than high fence, native is better than enhanced genetic or released deer, trad is better than compound, bowhunters are better than gun hunters...it goes on and on. Stop it. It makes you look like an elitist judgy db.

If it's legal, ethical, and brings someone joy, it's not your place to tell them their way is wrong, especially if you have not participated in nor have any experience with that method of hunting. If you've never hunted for a particular mature buck on a a large high fence ranch, stay in your lane.

That said, I do have a special admiration for native giants but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a 200" non-native deer. I won't turn down the opportunity to hunt one...especially if he was born on the ranch "in the wild."

Ma,am, your “drop the mic” comments are becoming a norm...please keep up the good work! Rods was pretty spot on as well...y’all make a dangerous duo [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know exactly how you feel, Shane. A few years ago, I nearly passed on a 160 when my best deer at that time was a 140” Brazoria County buck. He just didn’t look “that big” to me. I guess it was because of all the giants subconsciously imbedded into my brain from TTHA, TxBowhunter, 2cool & FB. I did go on ahead & shoot the deer, but even after I walked up to him, I thought he was a 140 class deer. After we scored him at 160, my confidence in judging was severely rattled. I think seeing huge deer on a nearly daily basis makes us jaded.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Stop, just stop already. What % of HF ranches are 30,000 acres? We all know most are far less than 5k acres... I have no idea what the average is but my bet would be below 1k acres.

Yep, likely 500 or less would be the average if my guess amounts to anything.

Comment

Soooooo no takers for this guy??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Was this last year? I had the exact same thing happen to me. Curious if it was the same place/guy.
              This was last year. I'm not knocking the guys at all. Great guys, but had two different locations coordinating hunts and they made a mistake.

Comment

It certainly appears that the saturation and commonplace giant bucks have greatly decreased in price. Referring to the places that apparently the surety of killing an individual deer is a certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                  I follow a guy on Facebook that sells those hunts and post a pic of deer like that almost daily. Ocassionaly he will have someone back out on a hunt and will post a pic of the deer with the price and say "I have a hunt for this deer available tomorrow" Someone will buy it and kill the deer the same day. It's laughable. People are paying 8k plus for a one day hunt.

When I see those deer the only thing that pops in my head is some scientist mixing text tubes.

Sounds like a certain TBHer

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                    If it's legal, ethical, and brings someone joy, it's not your place to tell them their way is wrong,"
                    I get that, but how ethical is it do grow deer where they can barely hold their head up?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJ-qyUCgIg"]Dustin 465 Video - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                      I get that, but how ethical is it do grow deer where they can barely hold their
                      Dustin 465 Video - YouTube

I often wonder if folks who shoot crap like that at some point get embarrassed by it.

Comment

I'm gonna tell my story.
                        I knew our place near Eden held a few **** nice bucks.I pulled all the camera's.Got sick to death, of seeing them once a month on camera..at midnight.
                        Rut came,and went.I called the Halff brothers ranch hoping they had an opening on their low fence properties.Nope
                        He said I have an opening on our 6000 acre high fence ranch.I said,nahh..I wanna kill one somebody else could kill..He, said,"swear to god",You guys kill me"
                        I said,chuckling;how's that? He said,they're wild as ****!!! I said,awight..Can your wild *** bucks clear an 8' fence?! He said no sir,and some places 12'..I said okay..I don't wanna kill a buck that can't jump a big *** fence!
                        He put me in touch with a guy near Bracketville.Great place,didn't kill **** and couldn't have been happier. I have access to 1 of the best h.f.ranches in the state and it still doesn't trip my trigger.I love what everyone does.Sling it! Kill em! No guarantees!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                          So given the opportunity to shoot a 200"+ deer behind a high fence for free you would just flat decline it? If I said "hey ABCD I just booked you a hunt on this place go shoot a big deer on me", your response would be "no"????
                          I would say no.. I was given the opportunity to go to my grandpas high fence place and shoot any 8 point I want, there were some giants down there I knew for sure but it didn’t interest me.. they had trouble finding people (that they trusted) to go down and shoot some 8 points and my uncle ended up asking me to do it as a favor, I shot an 8 point in the 180’s and got zero satisfaction out of it.. didn’t end up even taking a picture and have gone down there a lot but none to hunt..

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                            HF is not hunting. I don't care how big your pen is. It is shooting. Period.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/about...5080&se=1&te=1

You sir don’t have a clue what you are talking about. I started hunting on the Junco between Freer and Encinal in 1989. 47,000ac high fenced. I promise those deer have no idea what a fence is and when hunting it you don’t know there is a fence. Over 73sq miles of native south Texas brush. Come on man. It takes 2 hours to get from camp to the northwest corner in a pickup. I think the Callahan is 96,000ac....150sq miles!

So if if put a high fence around your WHOLE COUNTY it still isn’t hunting? I agree that fencing off 100ac can be considered questionable by some but you can’t make blanket statements like that and expect to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              You sir don’t have a clue what you are talking about. I started hunting on the Junco between Freer and Encinal in 1989. 47,000ac high fenced. I promise those deer have no idea what a fence is and when hunting it you don’t know there is a fence. Over 73sq miles of native south Texas brush. Come on man. It takes 2 hours to get from camp to the northwest corner in a pickup. I think the Callahan is 96,000ac....150sq miles!

So if if put a high fence around your WHOLE COUNTY it still isn’t hunting? I agree that fencing off 100ac can be considered questionable by some but you can’t make blanket statements like that and expect to be taken seriously.

Yeah you're not gonna change his mind. It is as closed as a steel trap that's rusted shut.

Gary

Comment

HF, LF,NF...200”, 100”...all chase, fair chase, no chase...don’t give a rats butt. As long as I get to make these memories...

Comment

Working...
                                X